Friday Night Cake Club For 10-04-19

Decorating By Laetia Updated 14 Oct 2019 , 5:58pm by Laetia

ThatCakeDude42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatCakeDude42 Posted 9 Oct 2019 , 9:46pm
post #31 of 46

The brookie really is just brownies and cookies combined. You can use your favorite recipes, or even boxed versions. I'd be happy to share my recipes, and how I did it, though. :)

Brownie Batter:

1 cup (226g/8oz) unsalted butter
2 tablespoons (28g/1oz) vegetable oil
1 1/4 cups (250g/8.8oz) granulated sugar
1 cup (227g/8oz) firmly packed light brown sugar
1 cup (120g/4.2oz) dutch processed cocoa powder
4 large eggs, room temperature
1 tablespoon (15g) vanilla extract
1 1/3 cup (170g/6oz) all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon (4.8g) baking powder
1 teaspoon (5.6g) salt
1 teaspoon (2g) espresso powder
1 3/4 cup (280g/10oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips
1 cup (113g/4oz) chopped pecans or walnuts

Cookie Dough:

2 1⁄2 cups (320g/11.25oz) preferably bread flour, but all-purpose flour is fine
1 teaspoon (4.8g) baking soda
1⁄2 teaspoon (2.8g) salt
1⁄2 cup (113g/4oz) salted butter, room temperature
1⁄2 cup (96g/3.4oz) shortening
1 cup (227g/8oz) firmly packed light brown sugar
½ cup (100g/3.5oz) granulated sugar
2 large eggs, room temperature
2 teaspoons (10g) vanilla
½ teaspoon butter extract/emulsion
2 cups (340g/12oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips

Topping:

¼ cup (60g/2oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips

Note: I used a dark 12” x 2” springform pan and baked at 315 for 75 minutes; if you don’t have one, you could also use a 9”x13”x2” pan or 2 – 9” pans and bake for less time. You could also divide the recipes in half and use a single 9” pan. If I were baking this in a light colored pan, I’d probably increase the temperature to 335.

Make the brownie batter:

1. Combine butter and oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Once the butter has melted, add both sugars and continue to heat and stir until the sugar dissolves (not boil).
2. Transfer the hot butter/sugar to your mixer and mix in the cocoa powder. The cocoa will bloom and thicken the butter/sugar. At this point, I just let the mixer run on low so the mixture will cool while measuring the rest of the ingredients. When you come back it will resemble crushed oreos.
3. Preheat oven to 315. Grease and flour your pan(s).
4. In a separate bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, salt, and espresso powder. Set aside.
5. The butter/sugar/cocoa should now be cool enough to add your eggs without cooking them. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating between each addition. Add vanilla with last egg and beat until smooth.
6. Add flour mixture and mix until combined. Add chocolate chips and nuts, continue mixing until well distributed. Batter will be very thick. Set brownie batter aside.

Make the cookie dough:

7. Whisk together flour, baking soda, and salt. Set aside.
8. In a clean mixing bowl, beat butter and shortening together until smooth. Add sugar and vanilla, and then beat until creamy.
9. Add eggs 1 at a time, beating between each addition.
10. Add flour mixture and mix until combined. Stir in chocolate chips.

To Bake:

11. Spread 2/3 of the cookie dough (30oz) evenly in to the bottom of your pan.
12. Spread the brownie batter evenly over the cookie dough.
13. Dollop spoonfuls of the remaining cookie dough over the top and press into the brownie batter.
14. Sprinkle ¼ cup (60g/2oz) semi-sweet chocolate chips over the top
15. Bake just until center begins to set. It should be soft and fudgy, but not raw.

ThatCakeDude42 Posted 9 Oct 2019 , 10:20pm
post #32 of 46

I've got a lot of people that like taste testing for me. My aunt is my most trusted. She's 70  and has been cooking/baking all her life. She gives me honest feedback about what she likes, what she doesn't, what could be better, and doesn't just tell me everything is good.  She said the brookie was the best chocolate dessert she's ever had. Her advice (jokingly) was for me to stop baking after the brookie, because I'd never be able to top it. 

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 10 Oct 2019 , 12:59am
post #33 of 46

@MBalaska your cactus are very pretty! The ones with a few cactus and the pink (purple?) flowers are my favorite. 

@ThatCakeDude42 I just took 2 pounds looking at your brookie, It looks so decadent! The mermaid on your icecream cake is stunning and the owl is just too cute. I'm in love with everything!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Oct 2019 , 1:10am
post #34 of 46

Thanks so much for sharing, ThatCakeDude42!  It really does look decadent!

BettyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BettyA Posted 10 Oct 2019 , 1:22am
post #35 of 46

I give a BIG YUM on all of it..... to ....ThatCakeDude42

and MBalaska I like your cactus especially the purplish one,nice work.

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Oct 2019 , 5:42pm
post #36 of 46

bump

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Oct 2019 , 5:46pm
post #37 of 46

I have never seen a thermometer like this, MBalaska!  Sounds great.  I gave Mike a professional, instant read thermometer for Christmas last year and we both love it, but this would sure be handy for things you don't care to pierce/probe!

ThatCakeDude42 Posted 11 Oct 2019 , 8:09pm
post #38 of 46

Thank you everyone.  :)

ThatCakeDude42 Posted 11 Oct 2019 , 8:24pm
post #39 of 46

I have that same infrared thermometer, and I love it, too! I use mine pretty much anytime I'm in the kitchen... checking the temps of ingredients before baking... checking cooking temps of meringues & custards... ganache... candy melts... a lot of times, just for curiosity. I made some pumpkin spice hummus this morning, and was using the thermometer just to try to estimate how long before the chickpeas started boiling. haha

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 12 Oct 2019 , 3:03pm
post #40 of 46

Those cactus flowers are lovely!!

I totally just bought that thermometer after reading that post.

I’m also trying to track ThatCakeDude42’s whereabouts so i can randomly show up at his door uninvited and eat whatever isn’t nailed down.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 12 Oct 2019 , 3:43pm
post #41 of 46

Thank You everyone! The laser thermometer has been perfect for making the Swiss meringue buttercream, simply perfect. After making my cuppies, I watched another tutorial & tried 2 more tips for succulents.Friday Night Cake Club For 10-04-19              HA I made them so tall they almost look like Christmas trees. The more SMBC the better for me LOL  Thankfully it's all in fun for me.

@MerMadeBakedGoods It would be lovely to nosh on that Brookie, what a cute new idea @ThatCakeDude42.

@angesradieux all the designs are cute, the kids must love them to pieces.

ThatCakeDude42 Posted 12 Oct 2019 , 7:36pm
post #42 of 46

@MBalaska I LOVE those cupcakes. My daughter has succulents, I'd like to try something like this for her.

@MerMadeBakedGoods There's always something here. We give things to whoever stops by, and always gets comments like "How do you guys NOT weigh 300lbs???" "I could not live in this house!" joy We currently have chocolate cake and oatmeal raisin cookies.

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 12 Oct 2019 , 8:00pm
post #43 of 46

Yum! I currently have cranberry coconut granola and zucchini walnut brownies. Any chance we can do a weekly swap?!?!?!?!? :)

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Oct 2019 , 10:18pm
post #44 of 46

ZUcchini brownies sounds good - share a recipe?   I'm finishing up a mini loaf of green tomato bread :)  Don't know what else I will find in the back of my fzr. 

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 12 Oct 2019 , 10:58pm
post #45 of 46

Ah...I just add a cup and a half of finely shredded zucchini (patted dry) to my brownie recipe. So of course it’s on the moister side and I bake it for more like 40 minutes instead of 30. Super tasty though.

Here’s my favorite easy brownie recipe:

1 cup melted butter

2 3/4 cups white sugar

1 T vanilla

4 eggs

1 1/2 cups flour

1 cup dark cocoa powder

1 t salt

1/2 cup dark chocolate chips

1/2 cup walnuts

Combine butter, sugar, vanilla - beat in eggs one at a time - add dry ingredients  - blend in chips/nuts

Bake @ 350 for 35-40 minutes

Laetia Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Laetia Posted 14 Oct 2019 , 5:58pm
post #46 of 46

What a wonderful idea to add zucchini to brownies. I might give it a try sometime soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%