2 Of Everything Icing Question

Decorating By mrsmac888 Updated 6 Oct 2019 , 12:34am by SandraSmiley

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 4 Oct 2019 , 3:44pm
post #1 of 10

So, I decided to step outside of my comfort zone and try a new buttercream. I've made the two of everything icing, I've  doubled it and followed the recipe per instructions for a crusting buttercream. I have a question.  What should the consistency be? Mine seems to be kind of dry.  The buttercream that I normally use is more like the consistency of  thick whipping cream. I'm just wondering how it turns out for others.

9 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Oct 2019 , 4:05pm
post #2 of 10

For crusting consistency it will be a bit on the dry side   Especially since you say what you are used to is much creamier   I think made as non crusting would be more the consistency you are wanting    You could try adding some more fat (butter or shortening) but the more you add the less it will crust   

mrsmac888 Posted 4 Oct 2019 , 4:08pm
post #3 of 10

Thank you for the reply Kakeladi!  Can I add the "fat" after it's completely made?  Just throw it back in the KA and plop in the shortening???

kakeladi Posted 4 Oct 2019 , 4:13pm
post #4 of 10

Yes I would   Just give a good long sloe stir at least 5 minutes

mrsmac888 Posted 5 Oct 2019 , 2:37am
post #5 of 10

Kakeladi,  I just wanted to get back to you and let you know the icing turned out MUCH better by my adding more "fat" to it.  I started with a clean KA bowl mixed 1 cup butter and 1 cup hi ratio (sad to say that was the last of my trans fat good stuff) and mixed that for 5 minutes.  Then added in my already made icing.  It was lovely!  Thank you so much!  *****  Details given for the benefit of others who may have the same problem in the future.  *****

Stay Sweet!
Christina

kakeladi Posted 5 Oct 2019 , 3:28am
post #6 of 10

Good to hear:) 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 Oct 2019 , 3:35am
post #7 of 10

I know this sounds stupid, but I have a crusting buttercream question.  I've been making it for years and do basically the two of everything method with a bit of extra sugar to get a good crust.  When I put it in the refrigerator, it sets up very nicely, but once it comes out of the fridge, within just a few minutes, it have reverted to a soft, crustless consistence.  It is totally impossible to apply anything over it because it will try to come away from the cake.  I don't recall having this trouble with real high ratio shortening....the coming away from the cake I mean....it still didn't stay crusted.

Question:  Is crusting buttercream supposed to "stay" crusted?

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 5 Oct 2019 , 5:11pm
post #8 of 10

Interesting @SandraSmiley, mostly because I've never put my icing in the fridge. 

but then...…….everything frosting wise was better with the "real high ratio shortening" of the days of old. 

kakeladi Posted 5 Oct 2019 , 7:37pm
post #9 of 10

Interesting ?s Sandra.   Yes, crusting b'cream should stay cursted.   I've never had any problems with it staying crusted - in fact I make many flowers ahead to 'air dry' with it.    What makes b'cream crust is the ratio of 'fat' to sugar.   The *less* fat/more sugar the better it should crust (and stay crusted).   More fat makes it creamy & not crust.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Oct 2019 , 12:34am
post #10 of 10

I think I am using plenty of powdered sugar, in fact, until recently, I was probably making my frosting much too stiff. It never looked very creamy.  Maybe it has something to do with being refrigerated.  Perhaps next time I will leave it out and see what happens.  I've really come to hate American Buttercream.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%