Transporting A Cake Long Distance

Decorating By CakesbyDiane Updated 27 Sep 2019 , 5:03pm by SandraSmiley

CakesbyDiane Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesbyDiane Posted 26 Sep 2019 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 5

I need to make a Cinderella doll cake (where the skirt is the cake with doll standing up inside) for my granddaughter's birthday.  I need to bake the cake on Saturday, decorate with fondant on Sunday.  I will leave on Tuesday morning for a day and a half drive to Virginia.  I'm concerned about keeping the cake in the car for 2 days, although the weather should not be too hot.  I'm also concerned about the length of time from actually decorating the cake til serving - 4 days.  Any and all suggestions will be greatly appreciated.  Thanks in advance!

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Sep 2019 , 11:54pm
post #2 of 5

I have done similar w/o problems   As long as you can use air conditioning the warmest part of the trip w/cool evenings it should be fine   Very slightly under bake the cake  —  well just be sure to not over bake it    4 days isn’t that bad :)   Of course it’s not ideal but really should not be a problem   Good luck.....Oh someone’s going to jump on here w/details on how to make a “cool box” for transporting the cake 

kakeladi Posted 27 Sep 2019 , 1:28pm
post #3 of 5

Bump

kakeladi Posted 27 Sep 2019 , 1:29pm
post #4 of 5

Bump

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 27 Sep 2019 , 5:03pm
post #5 of 5

Well, I don't want to disappoint Lynne, so here is the video showing how to build a portable cooler for cake delivery.  I use this for every delivery, winter and summer and believe in it.  The last one I delivered was more than 2 hours away and it was plenty hot, although the car was air conditioned.  When we got home, about 6 hours later, there was still ice in the bottles.  

I made a cake for a lady who transported it 18 hours for a birthday party and she used dry ice.  Worked a charm.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%