What Are These Ads?

Lounge By lily2 Updated 28 Sep 2019 , 1:07am by jchuck

lily2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lily2 Posted 25 Sep 2019 , 11:36pm
post #1 of 16

Holy smokes! I haven’t been here in a while and stopped in to see what was happening in the cake world. Is this site used anymore? It looks like the advertisers are running rampant. What’s the deal? And if this site is not used much anymore where did everyone run to? Is there a new cake site out there?

15 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Sep 2019 , 1:17am
post #2 of 16

There are a few of us who have refused to give up :)   It appears the owners of the site have stopped policing it for much of the past year & don’t ever reply to any posts sent to them:(   There is sooo much info here it will be a real shame if/when it does close  completely  

lily2 Posted 26 Sep 2019 , 11:19am
post #3 of 16

That’s so disheartening. I’ve seen a few sites (non-cake related) go through this same slow transition. You are right- the amt of info here would be a real shame to lose. Can’t the owners give someone or a few ppl the power to remove ads or do a little bit of the work?  

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Sep 2019 , 2:27pm
post #4 of 16

I don’t know anything about running a site or I would   From what I’ve read on here there never is a reply to any messages sent to them anymore:(  so a few of us keep plowing through all the garbage & pray it keeps things going  

lily2 Posted 26 Sep 2019 , 7:49pm
post #5 of 16

Keep plowing!! And you guys SHOULD take it over. You, for one, for years have supplied great advice for the community and never spoke to us from a high horse ;) ...always reasonable and helpful. I appreciate you ladies/gentlemen

jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 26 Sep 2019 , 9:42pm
post #6 of 16

I was a moderator on another cake site. Myself and the other moderators kept a lot of the spam under control. Site is still limping along, but no more moderators.  I’m pretty sure there aren’t any moderators policing CC anymore. If there were, they would surely answer the many questions posed about the CC site.

mrsmac888 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsmac888 Posted 27 Sep 2019 , 1:04am
post #7 of 16

Oh Please!  I so hope CC doesn't die!  I don't know what I'd do without all the awesome advice I get on here.  It seems strange that when the overload of spam happened in the past it would eventually get taken care of.  Doesn't seem to be the case now.  I wonder if Jackie and the powers that be have just given up on it.

lily2 Posted 27 Sep 2019 , 1:22am
post #8 of 16
Well, I guess if they were looking for someone with experience.... (wink, wink)
lily2 Posted 27 Sep 2019 , 11:29am
post #9 of 16

Quote by @lily2 on 10 hours ago

Well, I guess if they were looking for someone with experience.... (wink, wink)
That’s for you jchuck!!

jchuck Posted 27 Sep 2019 , 12:02pm
post #10 of 16

lily2     No Way!!!

Being a moderator is a job and a half, and sometimes a giant headache.  That’s why I had 2 other ladies helping me moderate the site. Running the contests alone on the site was stressful. And if you don’t have lines of communication with whomever is running the site, really becomes problematic. 

I mean, honestly, even if someone was interested in offering to be a moderator here on CC, how the heck would contact the powers that be????? As many have posted, inquiries about CC to Jackie and Heath have gone unnoticed, unanswered. 

mrsmac888 Posted 27 Sep 2019 , 12:21pm
post #11 of 16

Well....it just so happens that my husband found a phone # last night... although it was not answered by a live person the voice on the other end answered it Cake Central. If I get a chance, I will call it again today and see if I can get a live person and find out what's going on with the website.

jchuck Posted 27 Sep 2019 , 12:37pm
post #12 of 16

mrsmac888

Hmmmm.....how interesting!!  Wherever did your husband find a phone #??? Will be waiting for results.

mrsmac888 Posted 27 Sep 2019 , 1:17pm
post #13 of 16

Jchuck, 

He looked up the owner of the website and there was a phone number listed there. So he called it.  It was not the same phone number that is listed at the bottom of each page on Cake Central. From what he found out this website is paid for up to 2021.

jchuck Posted 27 Sep 2019 , 1:21pm
post #14 of 16

mrsmac888

Well, well. Interesting. So we’ll see what transpires after 2021!! I’m sure there is revenue generated here because of all the advertising. How much...who knows. 

lily2 Posted 28 Sep 2019 , 1:02am
post #15 of 16

Mrsmac888! Good job hubby! Very interesting indeed.

Jchuck, absolutely raking in the revenue from the zillion of ads roaming this site.

Thanks all :)

jchuck Posted 28 Sep 2019 , 1:07am
post #16 of 16

lily2

Really???  Does advertising really generate a lot of revenue? I figured the advertising probably paid for the site. Cause I know running a website and paying for the domain ain’t cheap. Didn’t think there would be much $$$ leftover.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%