Need Help. Frosting Sliding Off Cakes

Decorating By Shanbakescakes Updated 15 Sep 2019 , 7:44pm by kakeladi

Shanbakescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shanbakescakes Posted 15 Sep 2019 , 7:12pm
post #1 of 2

Hello.  Thank you all for having me here. 

I'm writing today because i'm having an issue i don't understand, on occasion.  I had a customer collect a cake yesterday, the cake had been frosted the evening before and all was well.  She took the cake home and as it sat that second night the frosting slid down the sides of the cake.  I suspect that one factor is that i placed the buttercream on too thick.  It was my first time attempting stripes and i didn't want to cut into the cake with the comb.  But this isn't the first time i have had this happen.  I am using sams club unfrosted cakes and their ButRCream frosting.  I have been alternating between thawing in the fridge and on the counter.  Cakes, for me, thawed on the counter, completely wrapped, have always been more moist than the ones thawed in the fridge.  But i have noticed the ones where the frosting fails to adhere are counter thawed. 

My questions are, do any of you notice a drier cake when thawed in the fridge.  Do any of you notice frosting adherence issues when thawing on the counter?  Or could this simply be a weight issue?  Need Help. Frosting Sliding Off CakesNeed Help. Frosting Sliding Off Cakes

The stress over this is overwhelming and i feel terrible. 

1 reply
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Sep 2019 , 7:44pm
post #2 of 2

Though I have never had that problem others say it may be due to the shortening used to prep the baking pan   Shave off the sides of the layers  very thinly   It also might be the icing   Never having used that icing I don’t know the consistency  it might need to be thinned down but rather than using liquid add some more “fat”   Cream more shortening or butter in    Don’t be afraid to let mix on low for 5–e en 10 minuets 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%