Coloring Ganache Black Or Using Black Edible Paint???

Decorating By Julie5 Updated 15 Sep 2019 , 11:45pm by Freckles0829

Julie5 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Julie5 Posted 13 Sep 2019 , 1:16pm
post #1 of 4

Hey guys,

I need some advice. I'm making a rubix cube cake this week. And I'm using chocolate ganache instead of fondant to cover the cake. I'm just not great with covering cakes in fondant and especially this being my first time doing a square cake, I just didn't want the extra stress. Anyway, so that this point the cake is crumb coated and filled with ganache and I'm getting ready to ganache the outside smooth. I'm not sure sure if I should color the actual ganache with black gel before covering the cake, or if I should cover it and then use black edible paint to make it black after. Does that stuff work well and does it dry well? Keep in mind, I'll be attaching fondant squares with the colors tomorrow to finish it off so I also wanna make sure if I were to use the edible paint, that it would play well with those. 

Also, if the answer is coloring the ganache, is it ok to color it now that its set to a peanut butter like consistency or should I warm it up to more soft and add it then?

Thanks for any advice. 

Julie

3 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 13 Sep 2019 , 1:59pm
post #2 of 4

I would color the ganache black.  And you can definitely color at the consistency that it is currently at...no need to warm it up.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Sep 2019 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 4

I am really surprised, Freckles0829.  I would have thought the water in a gel color would cause the ganache to seize.  Of course, you could use edible color made especially for chocolate.  I color ganache by adding the gel color to the cream before adding the cream to the melted chocolate.  If I want black, I use black candy melts to make the ganache.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 15 Sep 2019 , 11:45pm
post #4 of 4

Whoops!  Should have noted that you want to use a coloring specifically for candy such as americolors oil candy color.  Regular gel colors are water based and like Sandra said could mess up your ganache.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%