Help! My Fondant Isn't Drying!!

Decorating By teegs87 Updated 14 Sep 2019 , 9:12pm by -K8memphis

teegs87 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
teegs87 Posted 13 Sep 2019 , 1:25am
post #1 of 6

Hi... So nearly 3 days ago I made a little unicorn as a cake topper for my daughters birthday  ... and it's still not set. This stands about 10cm tall. 

I've also made about 2 days before this a rainbow that I need to be set solid in order for it to stand up on her birthday cake tomorrow morning. This still isn't set anywhere near enough to be standing. It will probably just flop forwards or backwards until it breaks. 

I've had a fan blowing cool air on them for 24 hours, not much change. It is the end of winter where I am so weather still quite cool.

I've read that you can pop them in a warm over for very short time to speed up the drying process but too scared to try. 

Any suggestions / advice would be so much appreciated!!

Thanks - Teegs

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 13 Sep 2019 , 2:07am
post #2 of 6

Put them in the oven with just the light on    Be sure you put a big note on the door so you don’t forget & turn the heat on :)     If you still feel they’re not hard enough spread melted chocolate on the back to stiffen them

Debbieshobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbieshobby Posted 13 Sep 2019 , 2:13am
post #3 of 6

If the rainbow is still not firm tomorrow could you change your design so you stick it to the front of the tier instead. If you add tylose to your fondant next time it should really help. Good luck

Debbieshobby Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Debbieshobby Posted 13 Sep 2019 , 2:13am
post #4 of 6

If the rainbow is still not firm tomorrow could you change your design so you stick it to the front of the tier instead. If you add tylose to your fondant next time it should really help. Good luck

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Sep 2019 , 6:43pm
post #5 of 6

I had the same thought as Debbiehobby, stick the rainbow on the front of the cake.  I've seen many designs done that way and it looks lovely.  Even with Tylose added to fondant, it will take several days to dry hard enough to support itself.  I use gum paste, which drys much faster and harder (not very yummy to eat, but edible).

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Sep 2019 , 9:12pm
post #6 of 6

next time before you start add cornstarch

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%