Fondant Troubleshooting

Sugar Work By Tinekabuller Updated 17 Nov 2019 , 1:10am by SandraSmiley

Tinekabuller Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tinekabuller Posted 10 Sep 2019 , 5:23pm
post #1 of 5

Thanks guys for letting me know that I can’t respond to my prior conversation because I am a new member. So to answer some of your questions the cake was filled with buttercream a somewhat stiff consistency I did a crumb coat followed by another coat of buttercream. I allowed the cake to chill and then covered it with fondant. The size of the cake was  perfectly smooth no lumps no bumps . I allowed the cake to sit overnight on the counter covered because from everything I read I can’t put a fondant covered cake in the refrigerator. The next day the sides of the cake were starting to wrinkle I guess is the best description I can think of. The cake wasn’t necessarily bulging as if the filling was bulging out but rather the fondant was developing rolled kind of how my tummy looks when I sit down. Trying Ron attach a pic of cake but can’t seem to get it to post.

4 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 10 Sep 2019 , 7:12pm
post #2 of 5

Hmmm, sounds like your cake has sunk a bit under the weight of the fondant.  How thick are you rolling out your fondant?  How sturdy is your cake?  A too soft cake sometimes can't handle the weight of fondant.

Also, you can refrigerate fondant cakes.  I was weary in the beginning as well, but now I refrigerate all my cakes once they are complete.  Condensation will form on the fondant when you take them out of the fridge, but if left alone the condensation will dry and everything will be fine.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Sep 2019 , 7:29pm
post #3 of 5

I have never been able to successfully leave my cakes on the counter, the fondant covered ones, anyway.  I learned, out of necessity, that fondant cakes can certainly be refrigerated and even frozen without problems.  As Freckles0829 said, if condensation forms, just don't touch it until it drys.  I, too, refrigerate all of my cakes.

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Sep 2019 , 12:13pm
post #4 of 5

bump

SandraSmiley Posted 17 Nov 2019 , 1:10am
post #5 of 5

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%