Best Recipe For Cake To Be Stacked And Covered In Fondant

Baking By Wild-cakes Updated 10 Sep 2019 , 1:37am by webberblessings

Wild-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wild-cakes Posted 8 Sep 2019 , 7:31pm
post #1 of 5

Hi, 

I currently use a normal Victoria sponge recipe and have had lots of compliments for how light and moist my cakes are. However...they are not the most stable and I had a disaster today with a 2 tier cake collapsing. So I think I need more of a Madeira cake. Can anyone recommend a recipe and method for the best Madeira cake that's still nice and moist please?

Thanks!

4 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Sep 2019 , 2:31am
post #2 of 5

As an American, I don't have a ton of experience with Victoria Sponge, but I have made it a couple of times, using a recipe shared by a British friend.  It seems to me to be plenty sturdy enough to stack, with proper doweling.  I've never made a Madeira cake.

A perfect, versatile recipe for stacked cake is kakeladi's *Original* WASC.

https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/7445/the-original-wasc-cake-recipe

Fabricake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fabricake Posted 9 Sep 2019 , 7:49am
post #3 of 5

I always use a Madeira cake. No matter what flavour cake I'm making the base is always a Madeira. If I want lemon, I add lemon juice and zest. If I want chocolate, I add cocoa, chocolate chips and a little extra milk. If I want white chocolate and raspberry, I add white chocolate chips and raspberries. I haven't found a flavour that hasn't worked with a basic Madeira cake. 

This will make 2x8 inch round cakes about two and a half inched tall.

10oz of butter (room temperature)

10oz of white caster sugar (soft brown sugar when making chocolate or salted caramel cake)

10oz of self raising flour

5oz of plain flour

5 eggs

1tsp of vanilla extract or whatever flavour extract you want to match the cake flavour.

Splash of milk if required.

1. Pre-heat the oven to 180C/350F/Gas 4. Grease and flour or line cake tin..

2. Cream the butter and sugar together in a bowl until pale and fluffy. Beat in the eggs, one at a time, beating the mixture well between each one and adding a tablespoon of the flour with the last egg to prevent the mixture curdling.

3. Sift the flour and gently fold in, with a little milk if required.This a very stiff, thick cake mixture.

4. Spoon the mixture into the prepared tin and lightly make a well in the centre. This will help the cake cook level and evenly . Bake on the middle shelf of the oven for 30-40 minutes, or until golden-brown on top and a skewer inserted into the centre comes out clean.

5. Remove from the oven and set aside to cool in the tin for 10 minutes, then turn it out on to a wire rack and leave to cool completely.

Wild-cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wild-cakes Posted 9 Sep 2019 , 7:12pm
post #4 of 5

Amazing! Thank you for the detailed replies. Much appreciated x

webberblessings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
webberblessings Posted 10 Sep 2019 , 1:37am
post #5 of 5

Wow! That Madeira cake is very similar to the moist vanilla cake recipe I use. I found it on Allrecipes and really like it and so many good feedback I receive on it. I will try this Madeira some day.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%