When To Torte A Cake Layer

Baking By jguilbeau Updated 8 Sep 2019 , 12:01pm by -K8memphis

jguilbeau Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jguilbeau Posted 8 Sep 2019 , 12:25am
post #1 of 3

I am just getting back into baking and decorating cakes.  When doing a wedding cake I like to bake the cake a day or 2 before assembling and crumb coating.  I usually  wrap and refrigerate before assembling and crumb coating.  I just do not remember if it is easier to torte my layers before refrigerating or after refrigerating when ready to assemble and crumb coat.

What works best for you?

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Sep 2019 , 1:57am
post #2 of 3

It really is a personal choice   Cold cake probably cuts better/easier   Freezing is good rather than frig’ing  even if just over night as It helps spread the moisture in the cake & keeps it fresh   Wrap as usual unless it will be in the fzr longer than a few days—then it needs to be wrapped better:)  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Sep 2019 , 12:01pm
post #3 of 3

like kakeladi said it’s an individual decision — the day I bake I have enough icing ready so that I can torte and fill on that same day for two reasons —

one is so I can get the mess behind me — and then  I’m free and clear to concentrate on the expressive part of creating the beauty — and I wrap the torted filled cakes like mummies in three layers — two layers of plastic wrap and then slid and sealed into those Reynolds baking bags that are used for roasts and turkeys— so none of the goodness escapes into the freezer — and vice versa —

when it’s time to proceed i remove the wrappings immediately, brush off the crystals before they melt into the cake — then frost the cake and hold in refrigeration after that all the way through climate controlled delivery —

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%