Cake Tin Depth

Baking By carolinewatton Updated 6 Sep 2019 , 3:38pm by SandraSmiley

carolinewatton Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carolinewatton Posted 5 Sep 2019 , 5:33pm
post #1 of 6

Hi everyone, I need your guidance, please.

I am looking at buying cake tins, I have decided to go for 8 inches diameter,  however, I cannot decide whether to buy 2 inches or 3 inches deep.

I have only ever used the 2 inch deep ones, but thought maybe the deeper ones would be more versatile!

I have a teeny oven, it will accommodate 2 tins, side by side, depth is not an issue, just in case this makes a difference.

Thanks in advance.

5 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 5 Sep 2019 , 5:46pm
post #2 of 6

I have both but tend to use the 3" deep ones more often.  Whenever I bake in them I fill them halfway and I get slightly over 2" to about 2.5" high cakes.  I like baking this way because then I am guaranteed to have even 1" layers (with some scraps to snack on blush) instead of accidentally not filling a 2" deep cake pan enough and then when I go to level it, it is less than 2" which throws off how tall I like my cakes.

In the end, it just comes down to personal preference.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Sep 2019 , 6:10pm
post #3 of 6

years ago i had to replace all my hodge podge of cake pans and i got the three inchers -- but yeah like freckles said it's personal preference -- for example you likely cannot get a three inch tall cake just because it's a three inch pan unless you're going for a pound cake or something stiff like that --

also if your oven is small -- pans of either depth might not bake as well side by side because of air flow but just gotta pick one --

best to you

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Sep 2019 , 6:11pm
post #4 of 6

also ms caroline w:

there is some kind of new member delay on being able to "reply" to posts so please start a new thread to continue any discussion -- at some point all of a sudden you will be enabled to "reply" but not for a while -- maybe like 30 days — I think it might have to do with time and activity levels -- please respond by starting a new thread if you need/want to —

best to you

blush

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Sep 2019 , 2:38am
post #5 of 6

I prefer 3" pans because I have a tendency to over fill and have my cakes run over and spill out into the bottom of the oven. Even with the 3" pans, I use parchment paper collars to extend the height.  I do try and keep the batter to no more than 1/2 full.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Sep 2019 , 3:38pm
post #6 of 6

bump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%