Store Bought Fondant

Decorating By strosgrl25 Updated 5 Sep 2019 , 11:29am by lark6209

strosgrl25 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
strosgrl25 Posted 2 Sep 2019 , 2:37am
post #1 of 8

I usually make my own fondant when covering cakes. But I'm in a time crunch with a big order that also includes black fondant.

What is you favorite go to store bought fondant that covers well and also tastes good?

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 2 Sep 2019 , 5:03am
post #2 of 8

I know many don’t like it but I use Wilton   You can add any flavoring by kneading it in   I usually dab about 4-5 times on a lump about the size of a baseball   Do as many pieces you want then knead them together so the taste is worked the same through  

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 2 Sep 2019 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 8

bump

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 2 Sep 2019 , 5:35pm
post #4 of 8

I agree with kakeladi. Many say satin ice tastes better but it costs more and if you add flavoring to Wilton i don’t think it tastes bad.

for fondant decorations that will be plucked off the cake or saved for eternity :) I use Wilton and I don’t add any flavoring.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 3 Sep 2019 , 9:32am
post #5 of 8

fwiw — wilton doesn’t now initially they used something in their fondant that tasted and smelled purely horrid — it was like did no one notice this, who would intentionally put out something so nasty — so once they got that resolved and somehow it took years — they have a nice product — but the stinky reputation is hard to overcome but they do have a nice fondant now — I used satin ice mostly though

Darlene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darlene Posted 5 Sep 2019 , 1:19am
post #6 of 8

I love Fondarific

weluvpiggies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
weluvpiggies Posted 5 Sep 2019 , 2:58am
post #7 of 8

I have the same question after opening up a 5# package of Wilton black fondant and it was unusable!  No stretch at all, it only tore.  I recently had the same problem with Wilton's white, so I ended up making it.   I'm kinda done with Wilton after two fails in a row.  Looking forward to your replies on the black fondant, too! :)

lark6209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lark6209 Posted 5 Sep 2019 , 11:29am
post #8 of 8

For white, in the summer, I use Carma Massa Ticcino Tropica.  I also love Fondarific and Renshaw and use those for whites in cooler weather and for colors, depending on which one has the best price as I need it.  The only time any of them let me down was once a few years ago with Fondarific and it was AWEFUL!  Not at all the quality I was used to and I had a ton of it preparing for some weddings.  I contacted them about the batch and they confirmed there was a processing problem and replaced it all at no charge, including the several pounds I had already used on a wedding cake to feed 150.  I've tried a bunch of brands.  These have always worked best for me.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%