Smooth Buttercream

Decorating By JamiJ1225 Updated 4 Sep 2019 , 12:21pm by JamiJ1225

JamiJ1225 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JamiJ1225 Posted 27 Aug 2019 , 1:00am
post #1 of 12

Help! I have a two part question. When I put ABC on the cake and start smoothing it, I always end up being able to see the cake. Should i add more bc before smoothing? Should i hold the smoother further away? I add more, start smoothing again and back to seeing the cake, like I'm making a nude cake. Should I make it stiffer? I don't know where I'm going wrong. 

11 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 27 Aug 2019 , 2:40am
post #2 of 12

Either you are not putting enough on to begin with &/or scraping too much off    How are you applying it?  If you use the Wilton “quick icer” it applies the right amount/thickness,  then you just smooth it — don’t scrape it off    

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 27 Aug 2019 , 2:58am
post #3 of 12

Your icing could also be too thin, but it is hard to say. You don't want to Press or apply a lot of pressure, hold the scraper in one spot lightly, and let the turn table do all of the work. There are a lot of helpful how tos on YouTube!

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 27 Aug 2019 , 12:19pm
post #4 of 12

Do you have your cake on a cake board?  I always place my cake on a cake board.  Say I am icing a 6" round cake, I put it on a 6" round cake board.  The cakes tend to be slightly smaller than 6".  Then, after I crumb coat.  I place another cake board on top and use a scraper to make sure it is centered, hold that in place and start slathering on the icing.  Then I use the cake boards as a guide for my scraper.  Not only do I get a smooth finish without being to concerned about my pressure since the boards to prevent me from digging too deep, but I also get a super straight iced cake.  When the sides are done I just pop off the top board and finish the top with icing.

JamiJ1225 Posted 27 Aug 2019 , 12:41pm
post #5 of 12

I use a cake board, but it's bigger than the cake.  That is a great idea about the two boards and I will be trying that next time.  I was doing a six inch last night and it was for a customer and I'm still teary eyed.  I watch all of the videos for tips, but this I will definitely try.  Thanks! 

Freckles0829 Posted 27 Aug 2019 , 12:46pm
post #6 of 12

It definitely took me some trial and error when I started.  At first I couldn't understand why the 6" board was slightly bigger than the 6" cake so I use to cut it down so that it was even with the cake and then struggled with icing.  Then I read on here that you use the board as a guide for icing.  And then I saw a youtube video of someone using two cake boards to get a super smooth and straight icing.  My mind was blown LOL!

JamiJ1225 Posted 27 Aug 2019 , 1:22pm
post #7 of 12

I love when my mind is blown with baking! LOL  I'm self taught and watch everything.  I might try a little less cream in the frosting next time too, even though it was definitely pipeable.

Thanks everyone!  I love this board. :)

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 28 Aug 2019 , 2:49am
post #8 of 12

If you aren't already, you need to do a rather generous crumb coat and refrigerate the cake until it has crusted.  This will make it easier to apply your final coat of icing without going back to the cake.

Be sure your layers are stacked perfectly straight and it you have spots that are protruding more than others, trim it.  That will also make it easier to cover evenly.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 28 Aug 2019 , 3:04am
post #9 of 12

I have *never* friged a crumb coated cake   Usually leaving it at room temp for maybe 5-10minuets was enough time for it to crust    

JamiJ1225 Posted 4 Sep 2019 , 1:23am
post #10 of 12

@freckles0829 when you put the cake board on top, do you add a little dab of frosting to keep it in place while spinning and scraping? I'll youtube it too. Thanks! 

Freckles0829 Posted 4 Sep 2019 , 12:15pm
post #11 of 12

When I place the board on top I have already crumb coated and chilled my cake so the little amount of frosting on top helps to keep it in place but I also hold it in place until I have slathered the sides with frosting.  Then it will stay by itself while I spin and smooth.  I do make sure not too put too much pressure on the top board when smoothing just so I don't accidentally dislodge it.

JamiJ1225 Posted 4 Sep 2019 , 12:21pm
post #12 of 12

As soon as I hit send,  it dawned on me about the crumb coat. Duh. Lol. Can't wait to try this trick. Thanks! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%