What Would You Charge...

Decorating By rudycutie Updated 31 Jan 2007 , 2:21pm by rudycutie

rudycutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rudycutie Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 1:54pm
post #1 of 5

I have been asked to quote a price for sheet cakes to feed 250-275 people for a Cub Scout banquet. Is 12 X 18 the full sheet cake size? Last year they ordered cakes from a grocery store and had the Cub Scout and Boy Scout emblem things scanned onto the cakes and a border of some sort around the edges, nothing too elaborate. I am thinking I could do a buttercream transfer instead of the edible image... She did tell me that she is calling grocery stores for prices and they charge $45.00 for a full sheet cake (not sure if that's 12 X18 - but she was told she'd need 3 full sheet cakes) I flat out told her that I didn't think I could do them for that price, she understood and still wants a price (I did her baby shower cake and she LOVED it!) How many and what size cakes do you think I need? The books I checked tell me completely different things icon_confused.gif These are boys and men that will be eating the cake and I know my son can eat some cake icon_wink.gif I would REALLY appreciate anyone's input on this - I've never done a sheet cake or this much CAKE before! Am I crazy for even wanting to attempt this?

4 replies
OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 2:06pm
post #2 of 5

No hon you're not crazy! The 12x18 has about 54 slices if cut 2" x 2" pieces. I have the inpression mat from country kitchens that gives you the outline of each piece so it helps with serving the right size pieces. I made two of these for a school dance for approx 300 daddys and daughters and it went a LONG way! Almost everyone ate cake and some came back for seconds so... I would suggest making 4 12x18's or maybe even 6 and going to the grocery store and asking to purchase 3 of their largest boxes and boards (my store charges $3.00 a piece for this size) put two on each board side by side then decorate (that would be considered a full sheet I think).

I would charge $40.00 per cake that's $5.00 less then what the store charges per cake and then I'd add in an additional $2.50 per cake for the FBCT or whatever you choose to do on the cake.

It would be good if you had the inpression mat that would mark each piece then be great if you could find a mold for the designs you wish to put on it and place one of each piece... like I did with my winter wonderland cakes.... was a big hit having it already portioned for the girl who helped cut who had never cut a cake evenly before lol.

Good luck icon_smile.gif

mendhigurl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mendhigurl Posted 30 Jan 2007 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 5

A full sheet cake that you get at the grocery store is 18x24 feeding 96 2" square pieces. That's probably why they got three. That being said, I think it's underselling yourself to sell those at $40.00. Sheet cakes are a lot of work. If you sit down, and just calculate what you spend on ingredients and supplies (boxes, boards) I'm pretty sure that you're going to end up spending at least $15-$20 on each cake, and that's not including your time, baking costs, or even fbct.

If you are wanting to get this order, you can let her know that for anyone else, this cake would be $$.$$ (fill in what you think is appropriate ( I would say at least $65.00) but for you, I'll match the supermarket price.

But if you're wanting to tell her truthfully what you need to charge, do that. You already said that you wouldn't be able to match the supermarket price. You never know, an extra $100 sometimes isn't that much when people want quality.

Just out of curiosity, have you called around local places to see what they are quoting? I wouldn't just take her word for it being $45.00. I know my local grocery stores start at $45.00 but edible images are extra. Something to research.

My advice would be not to be afraid to be honest, because that way you don't have to worry about someone else finding out that so and so didn't get charged as much, and craziness like that. Good luck!

OhMyGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
OhMyGoodies Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 2:06am
post #4 of 5

My local grocery store bakery sells a 12x18 sheet cake (they say it's a half) for $65.00 so... I'd suggest calling around as mendhigirl said, and yes I change what I said before lol don't undersell yourself at all. If they want quality they will go with you. icon_smile.gif

rudycutie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rudycutie Posted 31 Jan 2007 , 2:21pm
post #5 of 5

Thanks you guys! I went to the cake shop yesterday and got a 12 x 16 pan, half sheet. I figured I 'd use it sometime if I didn't make these particular cakes! I will put 2 together. I figured my cost to be $25 -$27 each. I called one store and they charge only $35 for a cake with no decorations, don't know how much decorations cost.. I am going to check with some others today, but I think I will tell her $55 or $60. I tried the FBCT for the first time yesterday and it came out beautifully, so I think I will use that to make the cub scout emblem. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%