Commercial Equipment In Home?

Baking By buttercreamgal Updated 17 Aug 2019 , 5:19am by kakeladi

buttercreamgal Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
buttercreamgal Posted 17 Aug 2019 , 12:40am
post #1 of 5

Hi! I live in Georgia. Cottage food laws here state that cottage food businesses shouldn't have commercial equipment in the home for baking. I found a beverage refrigerator on Craigslist that is being removed from a dollar store that would be helpful storing cakes. It plugs into a standard wall outlet but I'm wondering if this would be prohibited? Or would it be okay since it isn't for baking? 

I also found a great 3-well sink from a restaurant that I would love so I could have lots of room to wash dishes. I have a little corner of my air conditioned garage that I use for caking and it would work great in there. But again, would a big sink be prohibited as well? I just use my standard wall double ovens in my kitchen but I'm wondering if I'm not allowed to have a beverage fridge or the big sink. 

Any thoughts on this? Thank you so much!

4 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Aug 2019 , 12:43am
post #2 of 5

I would call your local inspector and ask.  It really doesn't seem like it should be a problem, but who knows.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2019 , 2:56am
post #3 of 5

sandra gave the best advice — second to that is do it first and ask forgiveness later — do they do home inspections in ga?

and a lot of this minutia is determined on the whim of the person you ask — so it’s a toughy — idk

but the fridge should be ok — the sink idk — if it was me and I already had plumbing out there and there’s no home inspections i’d do it without asking —  if you don’t have plumbing out there, i’d ask — you’d have to pull permits anyway — if they have inspections, i’d ask in advance

wish you the best though

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2019 , 2:58am
post #4 of 5

also — there is some kind of new member delay on being able to "reply" to posts so please start a new thread to continue any discussion -- at some point all of a sudden you will be enabled to "reply" but not for a while -- maybe like 30 days — I think it might have to do with time and activity levels -- please respond in a new thread if you want/need to —

best to you

blush

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Aug 2019 , 5:19am
post #5 of 5

I doubt the sink would be acceptable but my guess is the same as K8’s regarding the frig 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%