Selling At A Festival

Business By Ashlynn Updated 19 Aug 2019 , 12:10pm by Freckles0829

Ashlynn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Ashlynn Posted 17 Aug 2019 , 12:04am
post #1 of 6

I have the chance to sell cupcakes at a 2 day festival this year. I have no clue how many cupcakes I should start with. Last year the festival was one day and saw about 40,000 people. How many would you start with? Or have you sold on average at festivals? I’d hate to run out and spend all night baking to be ready for the second day but I’d also hate to have tons left over. Any ideas on what a good number would be? And how many flavors do you typically offer? Thanks!

5 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Aug 2019 , 1:28am
post #2 of 6

I'm sorry, Ashlynn, I cannot help you with this.  I am primarily a hobby baker and have never sold at a festival or farmer's market.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2019 , 2:39am
post #3 of 6

dang — although I am perfectly clueless on the amount — I think I would enlist a couple friends or family members to be ready to help me including baking more during the event or freeing me up to go bake more — idk that’s such a huge  crowd — so many factors to consider and all unique to your situation — perfectly mind boggling — 

i hope you have a wonderfully successful event!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 Aug 2019 , 5:25am
post #4 of 6

K8’s on the right track w/her suggestions That is such a huge amount to plan for   Maybe make up as many as you can for the 1st day & just play it by ear for the next   

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 17 Aug 2019 , 3:48pm
post #5 of 6

also, I would make a bunch of great sugar cookies to embody the festival whatever the occasion is -- y'know if it's a peach festival do peach cookies or something -- cookies (without choco chips) have a ton more shelf life than cupcakes and do better in the heat and most importantly they are easier to handle in a festival setting  -- but beautiful choc chip cookies and brownies are very alluring -- I would do some breakfast muffins if it's open early in the morning -- i'd tailor my food for the event in this regard -- and branch out if necessary -- if you can under the terms of your agreement with the festival -- if you happen to be placed by an exit be sure you have take away containers for half dozens, etc. 

would love to hear how you do

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 19 Aug 2019 , 12:10pm
post #6 of 6

Are there other vendors who sell items at this event?  Other food vendors?  Maybe ask around to find out how much they sold at the last festival to get an idea?

I agree about having other treats as well as cupcakes. Cookies, brownies, rice krispie treats that have been dressed up (drizzled with chocolate and sprinkles or made with different kinds of cereal), etc.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%