How To Save A Very Runny Swiss Meringue Buttercream ??

Decorating By Marthajoy Updated 14 Aug 2019 , 7:18pm by SandraSmiley

Marthajoy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marthajoy Posted 11 Aug 2019 , 7:52pm
post #1 of 7

First time making SMBC and I followed this recipe: https://livforcake.com/swiss-meringue-buttercream-recipe/ 

I started adding the butter and it just kept getting even more runny! I have searched online and the only answer I’ve been able to find is put it in the fridge for a while then rewhisk so I’ve tried doing this and it seemed to work until I mixed it a little and it turned liquidy again! 

How can I save it???

6 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Aug 2019 , 8:03pm
post #2 of 7

if it is liquid it sounds like your meringue was too hot and melted the butter —

if it looks curdled you should be able to whip it into shape but if it keeps dissolving re-read the first sentence ^^

a hail mary idea — chill it in the fridge for five or six hours until thoroughly cold — beat it again and see if it will hold up for you 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Aug 2019 , 8:09pm
post #3 of 7

so i’m sorry to say it might not be savable —

by the time I get my hot off the stove meringue beaten I add cold butter and i’m good but i’ve been making it forever — you gotta be sure your meringue doesn’t melt the butter — 

did you maybe use your butter too soft?

also — there is some kind of new member delay on being able to "reply" to posts so please start a new thread to continue any discussion -- at some point all of a sudden you will be enabled to "reply" but not for a while -- maybe like 30 days — I think it might have to do with time and activity levels -- please respond in a new thread if you want/need to —

best to you

blush

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 11 Aug 2019 , 11:41pm
post #4 of 7

I agree with -K8memphis (of course I do, I ain't stupid!) that the meringue was probably too hot.  It should be no more than barely warm to the touch, when you put your hand on the mixer bowl.  The butter should not be straight from the fridge, but it should not be room temp either.  Let it set out 10 or 15 minutes before using.

The first time I made SMBC, I had to beat it for almost an hour because I added the butter at room temp and too quickly, but it did finally come together beautifully.  Since then, I make sure the meringue is no more than just warm and the butter is still firm.

LindsayH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindsayH Posted 13 Aug 2019 , 5:14pm
post #5 of 7
  1. Did you whip your meringue to stiff peaks before you started adding the butter? If the meringue was too soft, it won't hold the structure and probably isn't savable.
  2. If that's not the problem, how long did you put it back in the fridge for? I'd say 30 minutes and then try to whip it again. If it's still runny, another 30 minutes and whip again. Sometimes you have to whip it for a long time to get it to come together. 
  3. Did it look curdled like cottage cheese? Or just soupy like melted ice cream? If it looked curdled, it's actually too cold, not too hot. Scoop about a half to a cup of the curdled mess into a microwaveable bowl. Microwave for about 15 to 20 seconds until it's melted. Pour it back into the mixing bowl with the rest and then whip again. 
  4. Is your kitchen really hot? Maybe it's just too warm to keep it from melting all over again when you try to whip it. 
MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 14 Aug 2019 , 5:55pm
post #6 of 7

The tutorial is right on target for proper SMBC making, with good photos.

Interestingly, the tutorial that you posted has the answers to all of your questions at the end of the page.  

""""" I find it best to walk away and come back after 5 mins to a (hopefully) perfect SMBC. See Troubleshooting section below if this is not the case.""""""

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 14 Aug 2019 , 7:18pm
post #7 of 7

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%