War Of Batter! Box Mix Vs Scratch Mix

Baking By SandraSmiley Updated 12 Aug 2019 , 11:23pm by SandraSmiley

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 10 Aug 2019 , 12:39am
post #1 of 10

I agree with your position 100%.  I grew up with a mom who was a wonderful baker, so I never used cake mixes until I started decorating and making cakes for other people.  It didn't take me long to learn that some people, because it is what they are accustomed to, perfer box mixes.  No, usually when I make a cake for someone else, I start with box mixes and use kakeladi's *Original* WASC Recipe, which is as flavorful as a scratch cake with a beautiful crumb, while more dense, is similar to a box cake.  I even love it.

9 replies
cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 11 Aug 2019 , 2:53pm
post #2 of 10

I actually prefer to bake from scratch, but when time is an issue I'll go with WASC every time. I can whip up one of those in 5 minutes or less and they always come out great and taste wonderful. I have one cake that can't be made from a mix. It uses 6 grated apples and is very heavy and dense but it's absolutely fabulous and doesn't need any kind of frosting. It takes FOREVER to put together so I only make that for very special occasions.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 11 Aug 2019 , 3:48pm
post #3 of 10

this is spam, guys

-K8memphis Posted 11 Aug 2019 , 3:51pm
post #4 of 10

wow — just as I submitted # 3 of 4 the first post in the thread got zapped!

cool!

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Aug 2019 , 4:41pm
post #5 of 10

Well!  They are getting sneaker!

SandraSmiley Posted 11 Aug 2019 , 4:43pm
post #6 of 10

cakefan92, I have an apple pound cake that uses a ton of apples and I chop them up in the food processor rather than grating.  That might save you some time.

-K8memphis Posted 11 Aug 2019 , 5:34pm
post #7 of 10

yeah anything that’s someone’s first post — and you can find out by clicking on their screen name — so if it’s their first post and it “invites” you to a link that’s like a business — spam! 

about the only exception is if the link is to a picture of a cake that they’re asking how to make or something like that — but a link that’s  “an invitation” uh ugh —  

but then they might start to disguise their bobo link like i’m describing here — who knows— but anyway nobody gets to promote their c.rap on jackie’s site — she’s been working too long and hard on it — for which I am eternally grateful revolving_hearts

we now return you to your regularly scheduled cake forum 

blush

cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 12 Aug 2019 , 6:37pm
post #8 of 10

Well, Sandra, I did it to myself.  The recipe calls for chopped but I like the look and texture of the grated apples better.  What would we do without spam?

SandraSmiley Posted 12 Aug 2019 , 11:23pm
post #9 of 10

Haha, it worked in our favor this time, didn't it, cakefan92?!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%