Duncan Hines

Baking By mahtc2016 Updated 7 Aug 2019 , 4:12pm by -K8memphis

mahtc2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahtc2016 Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 10:14pm
post #1 of 11

I just  bought several of Duncan Hines classic white and devil's food. The white is very runny while the chocolate is fine. Has anyone else  noticed this? 

10 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 7 Aug 2019 , 12:24am
post #2 of 11

I don't use the Classic White because I have an aversion to using only half of the egg.  Although I use DH mixes frequently, I use the for making the Original WASC recipe, so there is really no way to judge if one is thinner than another.

Is your Classic White baking as it should?  Some cake recipes are a lot thinner than others and they could be one of them.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Aug 2019 , 1:39am
post #3 of 11

I’ve always wondered about the thinness vs thicker batters especially after watching the tv baking shows   Does it make a difference?  Is one type better than the other?  Or does it just depend on the recipe?   On another note-do you prefer using a “to size” pan or do you bake up a sheet & cut your rounds?  Been seeing that on tv too    I always used sizes pans   To me cutouts are not as strong-could cause structure problems  

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Aug 2019 , 2:06am
post #4 of 11

It may not always hold true, kakeladi, but with my recipes, the very thin one (Hersey's Perfectly Chocolate Chocolate Cake) is much more tender than the recipes with thicker batter.  That is the only difference I can tell.

I've never heard of such a think as baking a sheet and cutting out rounds!  Sounds like a serious waste of cake and, I agree, it woud not be nearly as strong as a cake baked in a pan to size.

BettyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BettyA Posted 7 Aug 2019 , 2:24am
post #5 of 11

I have a chocolate cake recipe (made with warm/hot water) batter is thin but bakes up beautiful like yours Sandra. And cutting rds from sheets, I've heard of it , but it's crazy & wasteful.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 7 Aug 2019 , 3:23am
post #6 of 11

Yah that was my thought on cuttings   But I was watching a cake show from UK recently  & some big name there did that & it’s not the 1st time I’ve seen it done  

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 7 Aug 2019 , 4:37am
post #7 of 11

I've worked in bakeries that didn't want to buy more cakes pans, so we had to bake full sheet cakes and cut the size we needed. Wasn't a fan. 

SandraSmiley Posted 7 Aug 2019 , 12:32pm
post #8 of 11

Betty, my chocolate cake uses hot water too.  I bet it is the same recipe.  It came from the Hersey's Cocoa can many, many years ago.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 7 Aug 2019 , 3:17pm
post #9 of 11

DH's classic white is my favorite cake.  However, I use whole eggs instead of egg whites.  I just hate using only part of an egg and I rarely make desserts with just egg yolks so they would just go to waste.  It does make the cake less white but whatever.  I have never noticed it to be a very thin batter though, but then again I have never made it with just egg whites so not sure if that has something to do with it.

mahtc2016 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mahtc2016 Posted 7 Aug 2019 , 4:00pm
post #10 of 11

I have used Dh for 20 years  and I think the quality is going downhill. I buy 6-10 cases at a time and this time the classic white is just not there. I'm going to try adding more mix and maybe add a pudding and extra egg. I have 6 cakes this week plus a 3 tier and 17 dz cupcakes for a wedding on the 17th.  I don't need this headache right now.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 7 Aug 2019 , 4:12pm
post #11 of 11

yeah those cracks in the foundation are no fun at all — - adding more mix & stuff sounds like a great idea — hope everything goes smoothly! best to you

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%