New Here - What Did I Do Wrong?

Baking By NewHire Updated 7 Aug 2019 , 11:40am by Freckles0829

NewHire Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
NewHire Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 6:41pm
post #1 of 5

I just made this vanilla cupcakes recipe: https://masonfit.com/birthday-cake-protein-cupcakes/

I followed it exactly and it tasted very bland.  Can someone please tell me if they notice anything obviously wrong with this recipe?   Please?

4 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 7:16pm
post #2 of 5

i think it’s just the recipe — I don’t think 1-2 teaspoons of vanilla is enough to carry the day — coconut flour is very dry — there’s flavor in the fat of which most of the fat has been removed — the vanilla protein powder would not add much/enough oomph flavor wise — there’s no flavor at all in the icing — this recipe was developed by a protein powder enthusiast rather than a baker — 

also: there is some kind of new member delay on being able to "reply" to posts so please start a new thread to continue any discussion -- at some point all of a sudden you will be enabled to "reply" but not for a while -- maybe like 30 days — I think it might have to do with time and activity levels -- please respond in a new thread if you want/need to —

best to you

blush

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 7:21pm
post #3 of 5

cake there’s no sweetener in it either — no hope for these at all —

just toss some protein powder into some regular cake batter next time — switch applesauce for the fat if you need to — but we Do definitely Need fat in our diet —

blush 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 9:29pm
post #4 of 5

As a plain, ole cake flour, sugar, baking powder, eggs, butter, milk, and a bunch of REAL extract kind of girl, I think everything is wrong with this recipe. It's not cake if it's not sweet and I always use two or three times (or more) more flavoring than the recipe calls for.

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 7 Aug 2019 , 11:40am
post #5 of 5

I agree with the other posters.  There is zero flavor in these cupcakes.  You get flavor from fat and all the fat has been removed.  There is also nothing in them to make them sweet like a cupcake should be.  So it isn't surprising that you thought they were bland.  All the no-fat, low fat, fat free, unsweetend items are a dead give away.

I get that people want to still have their cake and eat it too (in this instance when they are trying to eat healthy and still lose weight or what not) but I just do not understand these recipes.  In the end your taste buds are not satisfied.  I would rather eat a full fat, full sugar cupcake and be satisfied then eat a ton of bland cupcakes hoping that "just one more" will satisfy my sweet tooth.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%