Price By Weight - Is This Normal?

Business By Holiver Updated 12 Aug 2019 , 1:50pm by -K8memphis

Holiver Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Holiver Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 2:10pm
post #1 of 17

i have recently had a request to quote for a quite intricate paint themed 5th birthday cake based on some examples the mother had sent me. I costed up based on materials and time needed to make and deliver. Once i'd sent the cost she asked how much the cake would weigh - I thought this strange. She then went on to say she asks because in her experience cakes are priced by weight i.e 1kg, 2kg 3kg cakes etc.

I went on to explain i hadn't come across this and that this is not a way i would price as a small intricate cake may require more time than a larger heavier simple cake. She wasn't happy with this and said she wanted to go elsewhere, which is fine by me.

I just wanted to know if this is normal and if anyone else had come across this way of pricing or a request similar?

16 replies
Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 2:38pm
post #2 of 17

I have never heard of that and unless every single cake made was decorated in the same exact manor there is no way pricing by weight makes sense.  I mean I guess it could be similar to pricing by servings but again, the type/time of decorating involved is a major factor in the final price.  So even if you price by weight/serving the final price could vary depending on the design because in no way should a fully hand painted cake be the same price as, say, a naked cake.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 3:04pm
post #3 of 17

overseas somewhere they do that

-K8memphis Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 3:05pm
post #4 of 17

and I wouldn't know a kg from a pound of potatoes either

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 3:30pm
post #5 of 17

As the others have said it is not normal but I have heard of that — as a ? here on this board sometime back so I guess it is done somewhere 

Holiver Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 4:24pm
post #6 of 17

thank you for all you messages! Its nice to know i wasn't in the wrong to advise against it (it would have actually cost her more in the long run which is weird.....

-K8memphis Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 17

either in the caribbean or the african continent or somewhere kind of exotic like that

lark6209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lark6209 Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 5:47pm
post #8 of 17

My mom did cakes YEARS ago (she's nearly 90) and she said they charged by weight.  We're in Virginia. She had trouble wrapping her mind around charging per serving, which makes infinitely more sense to me.

BettyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BettyA Posted 6 Aug 2019 , 6:49pm
post #9 of 17

Maybe it depends on the type of cakes baked, like fruitcake, that  would be heavy and pricing by weight I can understand. I'm 82 and never charged by weight. Besides after cake is decorated/stacked etc how would you weight it? Sometimes I think decorators don't charge enough for all the hours and talent to produce some of these beautiful cakes I've seen.

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 7 Aug 2019 , 4:06am
post #10 of 17

In Europe, you can buy cake from the case. You gesture a size and they cut it. It is sold by weight. BUT, whole cakes were sold and priced individually. 

johnson6ofus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
johnson6ofus Posted 7 Aug 2019 , 4:06am
post #11 of 17

In Europe, you can buy cake from the case. You gesture a size and they cut it. It is sold by weight. BUT, whole cakes were sold and priced individually. 

Fancyschmancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fancyschmancy Posted 9 Aug 2019 , 2:54am
post #12 of 17

I had a customer ask that once, I explained the method I used and showed samples of slices.  They wrte confused and left, but came back a few days later after everyone else used the same #servings method.  I'm in the suburbs of Boston and they were from India.  

vanz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vanz Posted 9 Aug 2019 , 11:18am
post #13 of 17

I worked in the Middle East before and there they sell cakes by weight and I still wonder how it works. 

-K8memphis Posted 9 Aug 2019 , 11:23am
post #14 of 17

yeah me too vans — I guess it’s like buying candy by weight but still my eyes cross and my brain says, “error! error!”

-K8memphis Posted 9 Aug 2019 , 2:58pm
post #15 of 17

I mean *vanz -- dang autocorrect

Holiver Posted 12 Aug 2019 , 10:50am
post #16 of 17

This has been really useful thank you! She came back in the end and we are now going ahead with the order.

Hayley

-K8memphis Posted 12 Aug 2019 , 1:50pm
post #17 of 17

yay!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%