Cupcake Tin To Form Whoopie Pies

Baking By playingwithsugar Updated 5 Aug 2019 , 7:41pm by -K8memphis

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 3 Aug 2019 , 12:15am
post #1 of 15

Hello, Everyone!  It's been a very long time.  Hope all my old friends are well, and I hope to make some new friends here, soon.

Has anyone ever used a standard muffin tin to form whoopie pies?  We were thinking of making mini whoopies for a Sweet 16 next year, and I thought it would make the cakes all uniform if we used it.

Other questions:

If you did this, approximately how much batter do you think it took for each well?  

And, of course, how long did you bake them for?

Thanks so much -

Theresa

14 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 4 Aug 2019 , 3:18pm
post #2 of 15

it depends on the recipe — you need to test this out — I think whoppie pie tops & bottoms usually don’t need to be contained at all they usually just bake up for you when you pipe out the blobs on some parchment — don’t they?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 4 Aug 2019 , 4:01pm
post #3 of 15

I agree, @-K8memphis, I thought a Whoppie Pie was more like two cookies sandwiched with a filling.

playingwithsugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
playingwithsugar Posted 5 Aug 2019 , 4:24am
post #4 of 15

K8Memphis - 

Hey, Gal!  It's been a long time, huh?

I cannot pipe like I used to, because of finger deviation, caused by RA.  I try, but it just doesm't happen for me, anymore.

I thought that if I used the cupcake tin, I could make them more uniformly.

SandraSmiley - Whoopie pies are two cakes, not cookies.  They are soft when bitten into.  I'm not looking for Oreos.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Aug 2019 , 2:23pm
post #5 of 15

hey pws! I got bit by the same ra bug — wah wah — I was privileged to send 90% my stuff to an orphanage in Bolivia — feels so good!

i checked out the epicurius whoopie pie recipe and I mean you could even do scoops or spoonfuls — y’know just tidy them up a bit so they round out when they bake — but the signature gradual rise is so pretty on a wp — you could make them in a muffin tin but it’s not really necessary 

it’s a cakey cookie pie — sandra is right down the road from me — she knows her whoopie pies smile

but you could also fridge the batter and roll balls too — test it to be sure it doesn’t change the texture too much — might need to let them come back to room temp before baking 

-K8memphis Posted 5 Aug 2019 , 2:25pm
post #6 of 15

or flatten them a little

-K8memphis Posted 5 Aug 2019 , 2:51pm
post #7 of 15

but the only things I have left are the lovely oven and 12 qt mixer among others and my speed rack — oh and too many books — but I sent three 18x26 boxes crammed full and a bit smaller one — I forgot to pack my turntable but my daughter finally took it — but I do have a few stray pans — I sent hundreds of dollars worth of equipment — I din add it up but tons of stuff — and because it went to an orphanage I have zero remorse blush

this place is so cool — they Teach the kids vocations — they are brilliant — and they sell at malls & stuff — makes So much sense heart_eyes

-K8memphis Posted 5 Aug 2019 , 2:55pm
post #8 of 15

well I actually also have a gorgeous castle brand three deck commercial pizza oven i’m gonna be selling this week I hope — my husband doesn’t wanna part with the deluxe oven — I can bake full sheet trays of chips or roasted veggies, bacon etc — it’s the only way to go hahahaha

-K8memphis Posted 5 Aug 2019 , 3:01pm
post #9 of 15

i’d send the books to Bolivia in a heart beat but it’s the whole language barrier thing — they have over Forty different languages there — whew 

maybe the library or something — no I got it — i’m gonna check with lala’s bakery here! they employ at risk kids! yes gonna check that out — cool

blush

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 Aug 2019 , 3:55pm
post #10 of 15

Sorry, @playingwithsugar!  Despite Kate's faith in me, I've never had a whoopie pie or seen a real one, only pictures.  Now Moon Pies I know, lol!

-K8memphis Posted 5 Aug 2019 , 4:00pm
post #11 of 15

well they're pies after all

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 5 Aug 2019 , 4:02pm
post #12 of 15
-K8memphis Posted 5 Aug 2019 , 4:04pm
post #13 of 15

great idea freckles

but you still have to get a rather uniform blob in there I think -- idk

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 5 Aug 2019 , 6:32pm
post #14 of 15

@-k8memphis - you're right.  You definitely still need to add in uniform blobs so all the pies end up the same size.  I would probably suggest a small ice cream scoop (I usually use mine for cookies or to make sure that every cupcake gets the same amount of batter).  That way it will be easy to plop down the right amount of batter without too much thinking.

-K8memphis Posted 5 Aug 2019 , 7:41pm
post #15 of 15

+1

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%