What Does "stabilized Whipped Cream" Mean To You

Baking By -K8memphis Updated 31 Jul 2019 , 3:59pm by -K8memphis

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 29 Jul 2019 , 7:38pm
post #1 of 10

question for you please -- what does "stabilized" whipped cream mean to you -- in other words what do you expect to gain when you "stabilize" the whipped cream that you didn't have before you "stabilized" it

blush

9 replies
SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Jul 2019 , 7:56pm
post #2 of 10

It means it won't break down and separate as quickly. The say I achieve this is by adding powdered ( icing ? sugar to whipping cream. The corn starch that is in Canadian and American powdered (icing ) sugar, stabilizes the whipping cream stopping it from separating. Sometimes I add an additional amount. Normally the ratio of 1 cup of unwhipped whipping cream to 1/4 cup of icing sugar. Sometimes I add an additional 1-2 teaspoons of corn starch. 

I used to add cream of tartar but get better results with icing sugar. The stabilized whipped cream keeps well for several days when refrigerated as long as it is not in contact with fresh fruit. When used with berries, your shelf life is shorter and you are best serving cakes within 24 hours for them to be at their best especially raspberries and strawberries. Blueberries will last longer.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 29 Jul 2019 , 7:58pm
post #3 of 10

I wish we could edit for typos...lol

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 29 Jul 2019 , 9:05pm
post #4 of 10

That it will stay put and not begin to lose it's whip I guess you would say :).

It can be stabilized with gelatin, like any mousse.  It can be done with a cornstarch type slurry, but I tried that years ago and was kinda gross I thought. Might have been in The Cake Bible. 

Also, a little white chocolate can be used as well. 

I think the whole not being stable on its own and that I'm not really a fan of many of the ways to stabilize it is why I do not offer it as a filling or frosting in a cake. Too much can go wrong with it. 

Wafa2012 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wafa2012 Posted 30 Jul 2019 , 1:53am
post #5 of 10

Means when you pipe it, it will hold its shape and it is stiff enough for making designs on cake.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 30 Jul 2019 , 2:22am
post #6 of 10

rychevamp's response regarding the addition of gelatin reminded me that several years ago people were adding Wilton's clear piping gel to stabilize whipping cream. Personally I have really good success with icing sugar as I posted. I tried unflavoured gelatin and wasn't impressed. Nor am I impressed with those little packets that are supposed to stabilize it - I cannot think of the brand name as it has been years since I tried them.

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 30 Jul 2019 , 4:03am
post #7 of 10

I've used a liquid called Cobasan that Albert Uster sells. There's also a powder, can't think of the name. I didn't think they did a whole lot. I've read some people like to use a little instant vanilla pudding to help it last longer. 

-K8memphis Posted 30 Jul 2019 , 3:14pm
post #8 of 10

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 31 Jul 2019 , 2:39pm
post #9 of 10

Like you, -K8memphis, I find that a good whip wholes well for several days, refrigerated of course.  I've tried gelatin, which worked fine and I sometimes add powdered sugar (because my husband likes it sweetened, I do not) and it works well, also.  But, that being said, I don't find it necessary to add anything.  I've never used it to ice a cake or pipe with hit, however.

-K8memphis Posted 31 Jul 2019 , 3:59pm
post #10 of 10

i'm just really glad to learn no one thinks it means it's stable out of temp blush

but yeah if it is whipped properly it needs nothing added to keep it from separating 

and it's no bueno to pipe with imo -- and that is where you need to add something

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%