A 50 Year Old Wedding Cake - Could Use Some Help

Decorating By lark6209 Updated 29 Jul 2019 , 4:27pm by lark6209

lark6209 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lark6209 Posted 29 Jul 2019 , 12:05am
post #1 of 7

A 50 Year Old Wedding Cake - Could Use Some Help

Hi, everyone.  I read every day, but don't post often and now I need some advice.  I've been asked to make a wedding cake (small - only serves about 50) that is similar to the cake the bride's parents had nearly 50 years ago.

They sent a picture that is not really clear and she says she is unable to get me a better copy.  The bride just says "it doesn't matter as long as it looks old fashioned and is designed like a church and has daisies on it".    But I am truly struggling with the design.  I wasn't doing cakes then and I have googled like crazy for a few weeks to find something similar to figure out how to put this thing together, especially since I only need to serve 50.  And she is saving the anniversary tier.  She has the cross topper from her parents' cake.  

I'll try to post the picture here.  If anyone has any ideas, I'd be so very grateful!

Thanks!

Lori

6 replies
gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 29 Jul 2019 , 12:11am
post #2 of 7

Wish I could give you suggestions, but it is such a bad pic.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Jul 2019 , 2:42am
post #3 of 7

I remember that design:)   Making it to serve only 50 or so is going to be tricky   Use lots of styrofoam:)   Only the top round & the next sq would be cake —everything else is styrofoam   For the very bottom tier I’d use just 1”  enough to make one step & “porch” for the couple to stand on & hold the pillars which hold up the triangle of styrofoam    Charge A LOT  Styro is expensive!   Don’t count on getting it back & really would you ever reuse it?  Daisies can be strewn around the couple on the triangle; &/or climbing up the pillars 

lark6209 Posted 29 Jul 2019 , 10:55am
post #4 of 7

Thanks so much!  I knew there would be some styrofoam in my future with this one!  The tips help a lot!

Hopefully my searches will give me something similar with a little more detail.  

kakeladi, My own wedding cake, all those years ago, was the "fountain style", and I've had a few other retro wedding cakes to make, but this church has been giving me a fit!

Thanks, again.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 29 Jul 2019 , 1:48pm
post #5 of 7

What more in the way of details are you wanting?  If you can see a Wilton book on wedding cakes —one of the 1st ones—probably in blk&white you can see how they were decorated   Try looking at the library or maybe some one on here could post a pic    There was a thread recently (maybe 2wks ago) about decorating an old style cake w/pix maybe you can find it 

Rachel_n_VA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel_n_VA Posted 29 Jul 2019 , 3:24pm
post #6 of 7
lark6209 Posted 29 Jul 2019 , 4:27pm
post #7 of 7

Thanks, everyone.  I should have thought of the Wilton books.  I learned from them a long time ago. 

That picture is a lot of help, Rachel.  I have no idea why my brain shut down on this one, but it did.

Thank you all so much.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%