Did You Practice First?

Business By bakeforfun21 Updated 17 Jul 2019 , 3:53pm by MBalaska

bakeforfun21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeforfun21 Posted 16 Jul 2019 , 6:24pm
post #1 of 18

Did you practice a real wedding cake or stacking a cake before you started selling them? I feel like i should practice just in case. I don't want to accept an order and then I'm unable to stack or my cake is too soft.

17 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jul 2019 , 7:41pm
post #2 of 18

it's a very good idea but no my very first wedding cake was for a wedding -- and i got paid for it -- this like nearly fifty years ago --

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Jul 2019 , 8:41pm
post #3 of 18

Actually my *very 1st decorated cake* was for daughters wedding - no practice; 2nd cake was 6 days later but just a small 2 tier; had a couple b'day cakes before 3rd wedding cake but NO I didn't practice :(   Didn't have any problems - was very lucky. 

As K8 said it is a good idea to practice.  Thee are some places you could donate cake to if you don't want/can't eat it yourself.   Any chance you get to make a cake, make it a tiered one so you get the practice.   Also spend all the time you can reading sites like this and watch those YouTube videos.  Just remember, what works for one might not work for all.....what a video spouts might not be right or work out for you. 

BettyA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BettyA Posted 16 Jul 2019 , 10:03pm
post #4 of 18

I remember my first one too, sometime in '60's, no practice, just did it. Was for my daughters boyfriends (at that time) sister. A 4 tier. I used the clear legs & plates to separate the tiers so no stacking problems back then. Just remember when stacking cakes one on top of another to use a good support system under each tier. After I started stacking tiers (like todays cakes) depending on how many tiers there were, I always stacked & finished at venue site. Easier to deliver .

kakeladi Posted 16 Jul 2019 , 10:07pm
post #5 of 18

This is the 1st decorated  cake I ever made :  My 1St Ever Wedding Cake on Cake Central

BettyA Posted 16 Jul 2019 , 10:16pm
post #6 of 18

Is that you in pic? You picked a hard one to start off with, looks nice. I used to have the stair stuff, long gone now got left at a venue I think. I still have all those legs & etc. wish I could find some one here that would like them. I don't have a pic of my first, wish I did.

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 16 Jul 2019 , 11:53pm
post #7 of 18

My first few cakes were for family birthday parties and events. Only when I felt that I put out a quality product did I start to charge. Even now, if there is something that I am unfamiliar with I usually give it a practice run. 

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 16 Jul 2019 , 11:54pm
post #8 of 18

I totally recommend any opportunity to make a multi-tiered cake to go for it. Birthday, Holiday, what ever. This will give you practice. Multi-tiered cakes are not just for weddings!

kakeladi Posted 17 Jul 2019 , 1:46am
post #9 of 18

Yes Betty thats me 50# lighter LOL! (& her dad, now my ex) in 1980   The cake is covered with cornelli lace w/fresh violets   I baked & threw away that bottom 16” tier 3 times because I thought it smelled weird:(   

kakeladi Posted 17 Jul 2019 , 1:57am
post #10 of 18

Yes Betty that’s me in 1980–50 # lighter LOL  (& her dad,now my ex)   The cake was covered with cornelli lace w/fresh violets   I baked & threw out  that 16” bottom tier 3 times because I thought it smelled weird   Daughter ‘s mil helped a bit supplying some of the equipment & the flowers 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Jul 2019 , 2:35am
post #11 of 18

That cake is beautiful, Lynne!  You were a natural.

ThatCakeDude42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatCakeDude42 Posted 17 Jul 2019 , 2:50am
post #12 of 18

My first (and only) wedding cake was for my niece's wedding.  It was small wedding of around 20 people. She was just expecting a small cake, but I thought since it was special day, she deserved more than a small cake. I made her a 3 tier 10-8-6. It was a semi naked to naked transition with fresh berries. It was Rebecca Rather's white on white cake, with buttercream, and raspberry filling. They ate the whole cake.

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 17 Jul 2019 , 3:16am
post #13 of 18

no practice at all, & the brides took a chance on me.  They only knew that they loved the taste of my cake & frostings.  Lots' of trust there.

I gave them pretty much what they asked for.

Did You Practice First?

MBalaska Posted 17 Jul 2019 , 3:17am
post #14 of 18

Thankfully they wanted the old Wilton free floating stands for their cakes.  Whew  hahaha

BettyA Posted 17 Jul 2019 , 4:56am
post #15 of 18

Yeah!!! MBalaska you got off easy.  Pretty cake, looks like snowflakes.

bakeforfun21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeforfun21 Posted 17 Jul 2019 , 7:46am
post #16 of 18

Thanks, everyone. I'm making 2 cakes this weekend. I think I'll try making one of them tiered (just for the practice).

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 Jul 2019 , 12:52pm
post #17 of 18

MBalaska, you cake is beautiful and perfect.  Their trust was well placed!

Many years ago, I made my daughter's wedding cake, which had the Wilton columns between the tiers.  I even piped roses and they were half decent!  No practice on stacked cakes at the time, but dumb luck carried me through.

When I started serious cake decorating, a few years ago, I made many tiered cakes for my neighbors's birthdays, just for practice.  We ate a lot of cake, lol.

MBalaska Posted 17 Jul 2019 , 3:53pm
post #18 of 18

@kakeladi I still like the piped cakes & yours was a winner, no one would ever know it was your first one.

Practice is good, but someone has to eat up the practice cakes. Oh yes, someone already noted here: that it's not the cake that supports the upper tiers.  It's the supports (which ever type that you choose) that hold up all the weight above.  So you could have the softest cake ever and still be good.

Things have sure changed over the decades as far as cake & cookie decorating is concerned.  MAJOR changes.  And Good Old Wilton was the main trainer & supplier for all things cake back then.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%