Fondant Cookies

Decorating By louglou Updated 16 Jul 2019 , 9:49pm by -K8memphis

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 15 Jul 2019 , 10:43pm
post #1 of 9

I recently made these 2 sets of fondant covered cookies for customers who gave them as gifts.

I tried to keep the fondant as thin as possible as I find it a bit sickly sweet. Personally I think royal iced cookies look much better and require far greater skill but I’m not great at piping and felt it would take me too long to be worthwhile. 

I packaged each cookie in its own little bag and then all 6 in a box but they didn’t fit in flat so had to be stacked up a bit.

If you received these as a gift what would you think and how do you think they should be packaged?

I can’t decide if I want to keep doing them. I like the impact of a big cake and much prefer the taste of cake over cookies but maybe there is a market for these. 

Fondant CookiesFondant Cookies

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 Jul 2019 , 1:24am
post #2 of 9

I think they're awesome -- what about rolled buttercream instead of the fondant -- you can dampen the sweet with white balsamic vinegar --

idk about packaging -- what about placing them around the sides of an upturned food safe box -- two on top and one on each side then wrap them in clear basket wrap that clear stuff they use to wrap around the baskets -- you familiar with that product? michael's and hobby lobby and packaging stores carry it -- the upturned box could have narrow flaps that come out from each side, on the bottom -- and that little flap could hold up the cookies placed on each side with a dollop of choco to stick them on -- or you could place the upturned box on a cardboard -- or you could place all the cookies on a cardboard circle --

you could put one of your business cards on one of the sides, if there was room --

or you need a thin box with a big cellophane window on top

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Jul 2019 , 3:16am
post #3 of 9

Those cookies are great!  Be proud of them   Yes offer them 

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 16 Jul 2019 , 12:36pm
post #4 of 9

Thank you both for your kind comments.

I like the idea of a thin box so the cookies can lie flat. 

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jul 2019 , 7:46pm
post #5 of 9

if you can find a pie box with a window -- or you could cut out the window and cover it with cellophane -- y'know from the inside

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Jul 2019 , 8:33pm
post #6 of 9

I had access to pizza boxes...perfect for this :)  They didn't have any printing on them.

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 16 Jul 2019 , 8:50pm
post #7 of 9

Those cookies look great!  I am also *trying* to teach myself royal icing but I use thin fondant on top of my favorite nfsc (regular and chocolate).   I make a vanilla bean buttercream (ABC) and swipe a very thin layer to stick the fondant on the cookie.  When I give them as gifts I either put them in a box with no top or a little tray ( paper or nicer) and put paper grass in the box so the cookies can stand up and then wrap in cellophane and tie with a ribbon.   I see some beautiful packaging ideas on Instagram where they just lay flat 3 or 4 in a box and a mostly clear cover too. See @hollycrumblemx  Mr. PotatoHead set, @sueofmunchkinmunchies  (she is really amazing!) for a couple of ideas! Who wouldn't want those as a gift - I think it's a great idea and a lot more of an impulse purchase than a larger cake.  Not that there's anything wrong with cake!!

Theresa

theresaf Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
theresaf Posted 16 Jul 2019 , 9:02pm
post #8 of 9

PS I notice some people decorate their cookies using the flat under-side (more so when it's royal icing) and others decorate the baked top side.  *shrugs shoulders* ??

-K8memphis Posted 16 Jul 2019 , 9:49pm
post #9 of 9

the bottom is perfectly flat and the royal will be too

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%