Help Decorating A Chocolate Ganache Glazed Cake W/ Gold Leaf & Flowers

Decorating By minniemeh86 Updated 6 days ago by SandraSmiley

minniemeh86 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
minniemeh86 Posted 1 week ago
post #1 of 2

Hi there,

I'm making a chocolate cake with raspberry Italian buttercream, that I plan to finish with a shiny chocolate ganache glaze poured over. Since it's for a bridal shower, I wanted to add gold leaf detail and top with fresh flowers. But could use some assistance timing out when to do the finishing touches.

The current plan is to bake and frost the cake the day before (Friday). Once it's chilled, should I do the ganache glaze later on Friday, or wait until Saturday morning? And when is the best time to add gold leaf -- right after it's glazed, or after it's set a bit?

Then last question, any tips for the best way to apply the flowers? The current plan is just lay them on top in a pretty arrangement, but not sure if anyone had any advice.

1 reply
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 6 days ago
post #2 of 2

It doesn't make any difference if you glaze the cake right after the cake chills sufficiently or the next morning, whichever is more convenient for you.  Same thing for the gold leaf, it can be added as soon as the glaze sets up.

I always try to make sure fresh flowers do not touch my cake.  If you are planning to lay them across the top, put a piece of plastic wrap or parchment paper between them and the cake.  A better solution might be to make a posy in the arrangement you like, wrap the stems in floral tape to hold them together and use a floral pick or straw large enough to accommodate the stems.  If using a straw, seal the end to be inserted into the cake with fondant or chocolate.  Insert the floral pick or straw into the cake, at least three or four inches, then put the flower stems into the pick or straw.  This make a safe, secure anchor for your flowers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%