Stacked Sphere Tier Cake (Continued)

Baking By pareenshah Updated 5 Jul 2019 , 11:57pm by -K8memphis

pareenshah Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pareenshah Posted 5 Jul 2019 , 4:15pm
post #1 of 5

Hello all, 

I'm not able to reply back to the comments on my original post so made a new thread. I did think about using rice krispies with melted hardened chocolate but don't feel it will be as sturdy as a foam half. Based on some of the cake designer's other work, I would be surprised (and very impressed!!) if this was truly all cake. Especially considering how little contact there is between each sphere. But I do believe it was done for an event and assume parts of it are real.

Basically my biggest fear is this falling over so trying to figure out a way it won't happen haha Stacked Sphere Tier Cake (Continued)

4 replies
ThatCakeDude42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatCakeDude42 Posted 5 Jul 2019 , 5:52pm
post #2 of 5

I have never done this before, I would think you could make this mostly from cake and RKT by using a threaded rod to attach cake boards for each sphere. This way, none of the spheres would be supporting the weight of the spheres above them.

Basically, a long threaded rod that runs straight through the center of the whole structure. At each sphere, you attach a cake board. The cake board would actually be in the middle of the sphere, because you'd have cake on top of the board and RKT under it to make the sphere shape.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2019 , 11:48pm
post #3 of 5

it could certainly be made with rkt and things like that but I have made gravity defying structures similar to this and no I would not use that as first choice -- foam and cake would be my choice for some of the orbs -- probably the bottom two -- all foam for others, the top three --

pareenshah -- when you do this you want to think of the orbs as mere additions to the very secure fantastic structure you built -- I would use a weighty mdf board -- on the bottom with a flange to secure pvc plumbing pipe onto it -- I would do the bottom third or quarter of the orb in foam and the rest in cake -- 

I would charge an arm a leg and a few other body parts too --

the size ratio is 2 x 1&5/8 x 1&3/8 x 1 x 6/8

translated into 'parts ' that would be 16 x 13 x 11 x 8 x 6 --

so if each 'part' was a half inch it would be:

8 x 6.5 x 5.5 x 4 x 3

or if one 'part' was 3/4 of an inch it would be:

12 x 9.75 x 8.25 x 6 x 

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2019 , 11:50pm
post #4 of 5

got away before I was ready to post --

so that last one would be 12 x 9.75 x 8.25 x 6 x 4.5 -- I would not venture to make it any bigger than that

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jul 2019 , 11:57pm
post #5 of 5

and that top orb, the finished product would be 4.5 inches so you'd need to start with a smaller orb inside to attach the roses onto -- the roses have a bit of depth --

for sure the top three orbs would be foam and i'd make it so I could just insert them all assembled into the pvc pipe -- I might even want to make the tippy top of the biggest orb out of foam too

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%