Marshmallow Fondant Color

Decorating By juljenki Updated 4 Jul 2019 , 1:52pm by SandraSmiley

juljenki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juljenki Posted 3 Jul 2019 , 12:42am
post #1 of 8

Hi, I am making marshmallow fondant and need to make a small piece of it a spider man or Superman  Red. Can’t be pink or a weak red need a red red . Any tips on achieving this red. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance. I can always count on this forum to come through for me.

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jul 2019 , 1:00am
post #2 of 8

Really your best way is to buy it ready colored      It would take nearly a whole pot of geo color to come close & then it will taste bitter  

juljenki Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
juljenki Posted 3 Jul 2019 , 1:28am
post #3 of 8

That’s what I thought but was hoping there was another way. Thanks so much for the speedy reply. Happy 4th of July

Freckles0829 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Freckles0829 Posted 3 Jul 2019 , 11:28am
post #4 of 8

I had to make red for a spiderman cake as well as the Dear Zoo inspired cake I did recently.  I used the Wilton Color Right red.  I think it calls for 50 drops of red for every 24 ounces of fondant.  Basically it is 2 drops for every ounce of fondant you need.  But I just added it slowly.  I think I kneaded the fondant out and drop in 10 drops at a time.  Knead, add color, knead, add color, and repeat till you get there.  I definitely didn't use the entire bottle.  Took a bit of elbow grease though but the color turned out great.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 3 Jul 2019 , 1:29pm
post #5 of 8

As others have said, it just takes a lot of gel color.  You should make it the day before, because it will get darker over night, sometimes a lot darker.  I died a double batch of marshmallow fondant red for a guitar cake.  It took forever and a ton of color and work, but it did not taste bad.Marshmallow Fondant ColorMarshmallow Fondant Color

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 3 Jul 2019 , 2:26pm
post #6 of 8

Well the voice of experience spoke —  talking over mine LOL   Since you say you just need a small piece you might give it a try:)   Pay attention to the pix Sandra posted   Wear gloves so you don’t end up w/blood-red hands!   If you do get color on your hands,  rub them w/toothpaste on until it’s gone   

SandraSmiley Posted 3 Jul 2019 , 8:12pm
post #7 of 8

kakeladi, I wish I had you standing beside me to remind me to put on gloves before I did this!  And I didn't know the toothpaste trick either!  I was colorful, lol!

SandraSmiley Posted 4 Jul 2019 , 1:52pm
post #8 of 8

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%