Hi-Ratio Shortening

Decorating By webberblessings Updated 5 Jul 2019 , 11:20pm by SandraSmiley

webberblessings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
webberblessings Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 9:41pm
post #1 of 6

Which brand hi-ratio shortening do you use? I been researching which brand and came across articles about trans fat being removed some time ago and how it isn't the same so wondering which brand gives the smooth texture and great taste. Thanks.

5 replies
WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 4 Jul 2019 , 9:26pm
post #2 of 6

Sweetex is a good brand.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 Jul 2019 , 1:11am
post #3 of 6

WeezyS, are you getting good results with the new Sweetex?  Since 50 pounds lasts me forever (in the freezer), I was reluctant to buy it.

WeezyS Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WeezyS Posted 5 Jul 2019 , 9:15pm
post #4 of 6

Sandra,

I've had my 50 lb box for about three years, so not so sure about the new one!  I wasn't aware there was a new one, did they change the formula?

ThatCakeDude42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatCakeDude42 Posted 5 Jul 2019 , 9:21pm
post #5 of 6

Quote by @WeezyS on 3 minutes ago

Sandra,

I've had my 50 lb box for about three years, so not so sure about the new one!  I wasn't aware there was a new one, did they change the formula?

When transfats were banned everyone had to change their formulas.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 Jul 2019 , 11:20pm
post #6 of 6

Yes, WeezyS, it is definitely different.  When I finished my old box, I went to purchase more and, while they still call it a high ration shortening, it contained no trans fats.  Rather than invest $80 in a 50 box of shortening that I might hate, I just went back to Crisco.  Crisco has also had the trans fats removed, so it does not work as it once did.  I just use all butter and hope for the best.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%