Angel Food Cake Woes!

Baking By HNZ1979 Updated 27 Jun 2019 , 1:55am by SquirrellyCakes

HNZ1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HNZ1979 Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 7:58pm
post #1 of 6

I have a new oven that is 1 and 1/2 years old. I had to have a new board, sensor etc put in after 11 months.

I have nothing but issues with my angel food cake recipe now. I now have to bake it 42-43 mins and the recipe calls for 35. On numerous occasions it has fallen out of the pan. I Thought maybe I overwhipped the whites, so today I beat them less. The cake stayed in the pan, I baked it 43 mins, but it’s lopsided. The top right is how the cake turned out a few weeks ago. The other three were from today. (Don’t mind the color of icing that was me playing around.) However almost every time I bake this I have some issue now. On my son’s birthday I baked the cake at my moms because my new oven was out. I baked it according to the recipe for 35 mins and it was perfect. (See

pic of my son) I’m almost at the point to stop baking this cake. My mother in law has the same recipe and never had an issue. What is up???

Angel Food Cake Woes!Angel Food Cake Woes!

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 8:37pm
post #2 of 6

bump up

rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 9:24pm
post #3 of 6

Have you tried an oven thermometer to check the temp? If you have had work done on the oven, you should check to see if it's accurate. 

And are you flipping it upside down to cool? 

doz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doz Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 10:56pm
post #4 of 6

Have  you checked if the stove is level, it may need adjustment if your cakes are baking lopsided.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 27 Jun 2019 , 1:53am
post #5 of 6

If you baked it at your mother's and it was fine, it sounds like an oven issue.

I bake a lot of angel food cakes - I use Martha Stewart's recipe from her "Baking Handbook". Only once have I had a problem and that was when it was turned upside down over a wine bottle to cool and the whole cake came out of the pan and collapsed.

Angel food cakes take 35 to 40 minutes so your time isn't off by much. It does take practice to know when the egg whites are stiff and glossy but not dry - they get a sheen. Don't use farm fresh eggs. You want your eggs to be several days old and room temperature.

I think the advice you got is good. In fact I would get 2 oven thermometers and a level because either your oven is not level or the temperature is not consistent on both sides or not accurate.

Additionally - egg whites need lots of room to expand. My recipe uses 13 egg whites. I get better results when mixing it in my 6 quart mixer than in my smaller Kitchen Aid. Be gentle when folding in the flour mixture into the beaten egg whites.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 27 Jun 2019 , 1:55am
post #6 of 6

I meant to ask - are you having issues with anything else you are baking?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%