Ref - Cake Size Advice

Decorating By GerryLewis Updated 26 Jun 2019 , 12:44am by SandraSmiley

GerryLewis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
GerryLewis Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 3:37pm
post #1 of 4

ref - cake size advice topic

Wondered where my replies were disappearing too, nothing says anywhere I can see that you cant reply to your own topic.

Anyway - Finger size that I referred to is going to be around 2" x 1" x cake depth.

In case anyone wonders - I have made a couple of wedding cakes before - many years ago in a past life as a chef, but have never stacked a cake - I have used pillars as that was the standard way back then. 

And I used Royal Icing - the venerable break your teeth stuff - so fondant Icing is requested here.

In case it was not clear - there will be 2 stacked cakes - one square - with one round above it, then pillars to support the same above that. so effectively 2 stacked cakes x 2.

Unclear on sizing to keep the shape nice and uniform as the pillars ( I expect they are all a standard height of around 3"? ) will break it up.

My design brief so to speak is..   rich fruit cake - around 200 people - base colour Ivory.  The rest is entirely up to me !

So when do I get to reply properly?

Gerry

3 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 4:54pm
post #2 of 4

except for the height that's a normal serving size --

I think you're gonna need to do a: 

14sq x12r x 8sq x 6r because the 8" square is about eleven and half inches from corner to corner -- it just barely will fit on top of the 12" round and will need to be on a tight board without any border so it doesn't overwhelm the 12r below-- the pillars in between will disguise it some but they will appear the exact same size -- and that's 154 servings below the pillars and 44 above for exactly 200 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 7:48pm
post #3 of 4

Just for your information:  Pillars come in many sizes from 3" tall to about 10" (or was it 12"?).   You can see 2 different sizes in these pictures:  https://cdn001.cakecentral.com/gallery/2019/04/900_10-tiers-37jF4YE.jpg        https://www.cakecentral.com/gallery/i/1300436/small-wedding-with-stairs You might not see the pic at this link but it is found on pg 10 in my gallery at the bottom of the page.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 12:44am
post #4 of 4

bump

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%