Is Wasc A Vegetarian Cake?

Baking By Pucci Cakes Updated 20 Jun 2019 , 3:27am by SquirrellyCakes

Pucci Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pucci Cakes Posted 19 Jun 2019 , 10:28pm
post #1 of 9

Ok I am very sorry if this question sounds stupid for many of you but I'm really not too familiar with vegetarians except that they don't eat meat or red meat anyways. So someone ordered a wedding cake and after finalizing the order, the customer asked me to make sure that all ingredients were vegetarian. O K...  The cake is going to be chocolate and vanilla (WASC recipe) with Swiss meringue buttercream. Are any of these ingredients NOT vegetarian like eggs, butter, milk or sour cream? She mentioned vegetarian not vegan.

Thanks

8 replies
louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 19 Jun 2019 , 10:39pm
post #2 of 9

All those ingredients are vegetarian but box mixes could contain non vegetarian additives. Just check the packet.  Marshmallow is not usually vegetarian as it contains gelatine. So if you are making your own fondant, that’s something to be aware of. Red food colouring can contain cochineal which comes from a beetle. Some sprinkles and dragees contain gelatine. A ready made fruit filling could contain gelatine. Butter is vegetarian but some butter substitutes aren’t. That’s all I can think of at the moment. 

Pucci Cakes Posted 19 Jun 2019 , 10:54pm
post #3 of 9

Thank you louglou for your prompt response. My client doesn't't want fondant just white swiss meringue buttercream. I use Betty Crocker mix so what exactly should I be looking for in the ingredients? Also, do you think hi ratio shortening is vegetarian?

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 Jun 2019 , 11:38pm
post #4 of 9

Some sour creams do contain gelatin. For example the sour cream served at Trader Joes - so check the ingredients. 

SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 Jun 2019 , 11:48pm
post #5 of 9

Also - high ratio shortening is vegan so that should be safe. I have never heard of anything other than all vegetable shortening and special emulsifiers  being added to it. If you are worried, just liook at the ingredient label.

Pucci Cakes Posted 19 Jun 2019 , 11:58pm
post #6 of 9

Thank you SquirrellyCakes. I use the Walmart sour cream but doesn't say gelatine so I guess it should be ok. Is gelatine the main ingredient I should be looking for in cake box mix?

SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 1:59am
post #7 of 9

I believe that Betty Crocker makes some vegan mixes and the non-vegan mixes that you add dairy and eggs to are more than likely vegetarian friendly. I cannot see why gelatin would be added to them but yes, look for gelatin as an ingredient. I cannot think of another ingredient that would not be vegetarian friendly. I just hope the person ordering knows the difference between vegan and vegetarian as some people use both terms interchangeably. 

Pucci Cakes Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 2:41am
post #8 of 9

Thanks again. 

SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 3:27am
post #9 of 9

You are very welcome.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%