I Need Recipe Help

Baking By bakeforfun21 Updated 20 Jun 2019 , 1:11am by SquirrellyCakes

bakeforfun21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeforfun21 Posted 19 Jun 2019 , 9:18pm
post #1 of 6

I have tried too many recipra to count. I tried Sallys baking addition cupcakes. I thought they were fine. Everyone that i had try them said they were dry. I tried altering that recipe to make chocolate cupcakes and they were gosh awful. I tried cake mix dr recipes and they are too light. I cant do anything with those except eat them plain. Except the chocolate, I've been following the recipes exactly. I even bought an oven thermometer to make sure my oven was the right temp. Idk what else to do.

5 replies
ThatCakeDude42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatCakeDude42 Posted 19 Jun 2019 , 10:18pm
post #2 of 6

Could it be a problem with how you're measuring your ingredients? It might be worth it to invest in a kitchen scale if you haven't already.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 12:14am
post #3 of 6

ThatCakeDude42 gave you good advice - careful measuring is important. I use weight and/or measuring cups depending on the recipe.  However weighing is supposed to be the most accurate method. I am an old brawd so I have a lot of old recipes and old ways...lol. You checked your oven temperature. Then putting your pans on the right rack is important. Using the right ingredients is key too. For example I use whole milk in a recipe calling for milk - you would not use skim as there is not enough fat in it. Use the right size of eggs - usually large are called for. Use full fat sour cream or cream cheese when these ingredients are called for. Then there is your method of mixing. If you have a stand mixer like a Kitchen Aid, use the paddle attachment to cream the butter. I actually soften cold butter first then add the sugar on about 6 and cream 8-10 minutes. Once you add your liquid ingredients to your dry ingredients you do not want to beat too long or you will over develop the gluten in the flour and your cake won't be as tender and moist.

The biggest problem is over baking. If you bake until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean, you have over baked. Bake until a toothpick comes out with a moist crumb or two attached but no wet batter. Sometimes the problem is the pans themselves. Stay away from dark coloured pans. If you do use them or are using glassware, reduce temperature by 25 degrees.

I am not 100 percent thrilled with my white cake recipes. I actually prefer a gluten-free recipe I tried on a site. I love a Martha Stewart Chocolate Cake recipe I can put a link on here to. I can no longer link to my sister's Carrot Cake Recipe which I may have time to post in a couple of days for you along with a simple chocolate cake recipe. I also have a simple white cupcake recipe that makes a moist cupcake.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 12:30am
post #4 of 6

Here is the Martha Stewart Recipe link:

https://www.marthastewart.com/962196/chocolate-flecked-layer-cake-milk-chocolate-frosting

Now I do the cake a bit differently.

I make 1/4 of the Milk Chocolate Frosting and use it as a filling only. So I torte the two layers and fill with one third each. Then I make this icing.

Chocolate Frosting

6 tablespoons unsalted butter

2 1/4 cups semi-sweet chocolate chips

1 1/8 cups of unwhipped whipping cream

3 3/4 cups (plus) icing (powdered) sugar

1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract

Place all ingredients in large heavy pot and whisk over low-medium heat about 4-6 if numbers - until melted and well incorporated. Remove from heat and put in bowl of stand mixer. Once cool, mix with paddle attachment. You may need to add a bit more powdered sugar to make spreadable with a good consistency. 

bakeforfun21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bakeforfun21 Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 12:59am
post #5 of 6

I do have a scale. I've been using it but mauve u should try my measuring cups.  I have a stand mixer but it doesn't have a paddle attachment. 

SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 1:11am
post #6 of 6

Make sure you have good measuring cups like Tupperware ones for example. The ones from a dollar store can be off quite a bit as can the measuring spoons which is why a good scale is considered to be more accurate.

I bought a set of measuring cups from a dollar store and the cup was a full 2 ounces larger than my Tupperware. The tablespoon was 1 teaspoon larger. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%