Sealing Fresh Flowers On A Cake

Decorating By LindsayH Updated 20 Jun 2019 , 3:05am by SquirrellyCakes

LindsayH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LindsayH Posted 19 Jun 2019 , 5:00pm
post #1 of 3

I'm decorating a cake with fresh flowers for the first time. I read online someone used edible glaze spray on the backs of the flowers to create a barrier between the petals and the cake. Is that really necessary if you wash the flowers and properly wrap/seal any stems that are actually being inserted into the cake? Seems like overkill to me, but I also don't want visible waxed paper or plastic wrap underneath the flowers. 

For those that regularly decorate with fresh flowers, do you worry about where the petals come in contact with the cake?

2 replies
cakefan92 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakefan92 Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 12:09am
post #2 of 3

I think the only time you might want to go to that extreme is if you're using flowers which may be poisonous.  Research the flowers you plan to use so you'll know how strict you want to be.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 20 Jun 2019 , 3:05am
post #3 of 3

I am old fashioned about this but unless the flowers were organically grown free of pesticide use and chemical fertilizers, I always used a container or a flower pick to contain the stems and had a barrier between the flower petals and the cake. I even went so far as to grow my own on occasion.  You can hide the plastic or material barrier and nobody will know it is there. 

You got great advice regarding verifying if the flowers you use are poisonous.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%