Replacing Eggs For Only Whites In My Recipe

Baking By danaxsa Updated 19 Jun 2019 , 2:43pm by SquirrellyCakes

danaxsa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
danaxsa Posted 19 Jun 2019 , 2:45am
post #1 of 5

I have a cake recipe I made which uses 2 eggs and 2 yolks, I want to make my cake White would it be ideal to use 4 egg whites ?  Or should I do 3 whites and 1 whole egg ?

4 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jun 2019 , 4:50am
post #2 of 5

I have made many many white cakes using whole eggs   There is little difference in color   Few if any who would see the difference   I suggest using at least 1 whole eggq  —to me One gets a “stronger” cake   Unless you are making a chiffon recipe:)  

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 Jun 2019 , 2:02pm
post #3 of 5

kakeladi is right (as always)- it won't make much difference in colour but you are going to change the cake's structure. The recipe is likely designed to include the 4 egg yolks as part of the fat content and you will be reducing the fat content considerably by removing them. You would be better off using a totally different recipe designed to use only egg whites. The other issue is, your cake will be way less moist because of the fat reduction.

The only true white cake- in my opinion- is an angel food cake. As soon as you add butter or enough real vanilla, your cake will be slightly off-white.

I have tried recipes using shortening, egg whites and artificial clear vanilla but have yet to find one that was not dry and chemical tasting.

Just my opinion.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Jun 2019 , 2:28pm
post #4 of 5

Oh squirrellyc akes you are sooooo funny & wrong!!   I have made many many blunders   I don’t know the science of cakes  like you do just what has worked for me over the many years I’ve been at this 

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 Jun 2019 , 2:43pm
post #5 of 5

Love you kakeladi - you are too humble and I know that you know a ton of stuff!

Geesh - if my science teachers had only related science to baking - I might have been interested. 

Now if I was half the decorator you ladies are, I wouldn't yap so much about baking. would I?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%