Baked Fondant Covered Boards

Decorating By CalaMom Updated 14 Jun 2019 , 4:29pm by -K8memphis

CalaMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CalaMom Posted 14 Jun 2019 , 12:06pm
post #1 of 3

Has anyone baked their fondant covered board? Was your board plastic or wood? Would it work on a wood board?

I forget where I saw it at months ago-and of course I didn't save it. But it looked pretty neat and simple to do. I don't remember how it was done though. Have any of you wonderful experienced cakers done this? What was the process? Any tips?

2 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 14 Jun 2019 , 1:17pm
post #2 of 3

I just googled it and found a video from sugar geeks on How & why   Look it up :)  

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 14 Jun 2019 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 3

although I’ve never baked a board because I should have just made it in advance so it had time to dry — I do use my warming drawer under my oven to dry fondant and gum paste pieces — I also add corn starch to help it dry —

i never went over 150 degrees if memory serves — medium temp — high temp on the drawer melts the stuff — but I was drying 3-d items like bows and flowers — drying it flat on a board, the video said 170 degrees but also said “as low as your oven will go” the lowest my oven will go is 250 degrees so i’ll defer to their judgement but be careful there —

the only other really big deal is don’t touch it till it completely cools off because it will be soft, well mine was at the lower temps so you can mess up your piece if you’re not careful — 

i’d leave my items in there for a couple hours let it cool and repeat 

works great

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%