I Can't See Photos Anymore

Baking By Rachel_n_VA Updated 26 Jun 2019 , 3:18am by gscout73

Rachel_n_VA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel_n_VA Posted 12 Jun 2019 , 1:02pm
post #1 of 59

Am I the only one for whom photos aren't showing up on the site?  I would love to see what everyone is doing these days!

58 replies
jchuck Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jchuck Posted 12 Jun 2019 , 3:03pm
post #2 of 59

Rachel ...big glitch on the CC site. Photos are loading anywhere on the site. Not even photos on members personal page....boo hoo. :o(. Hopefully fixed soon.

ajclucas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajclucas Posted 12 Jun 2019 , 5:57pm
post #3 of 59

I can't see images, either.  Haven't been able to since Monday.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 12 Jun 2019 , 7:20pm
post #4 of 59

Unfortunately there are big problems on this site.  It could take several hours to several days for it to be fixed :( 

doz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doz Posted 12 Jun 2019 , 9:10pm
post #5 of 59

Good to know,  I can't see any photos either and thought maybe my computer  slipped a gear  LOL.  Hope they can fix it soon

gscout73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gscout73 Posted 13 Jun 2019 , 2:52am
post #6 of 59

I also cannot see any photos, forum posts or galleries.

sandeeb Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
sandeeb Posted 13 Jun 2019 , 2:58am
post #7 of 59

I can't see any of my photos from a few years back either. hope it's corrected soon.

ThatCakeDude42 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ThatCakeDude42 Posted 13 Jun 2019 , 12:28pm
post #8 of 59

Has anyone tried calling Cake Central's phone number to report it?

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 13 Jun 2019 , 6:39pm
post #9 of 59

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 16 Jun 2019 , 2:10am
post #10 of 59

mine are not working either.  

MBalaska Posted 18 Jun 2019 , 12:58am
post #11 of 59

wow...……….  still no photos visible.   sad. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 Jun 2019 , 1:06am
post #12 of 59

Interesting—in my gallery I can see maybe 1/3 to 1/2 of the pix I posted but no others  

jchuck Posted 18 Jun 2019 , 12:35pm
post #13 of 59

This is bad, very bad, for a site dedicated to showcasing photos. 

ThatCakeDude42 Posted 18 Jun 2019 , 12:43pm
post #14 of 59

I see no evidence that the site has any type of staff/owner involvement in almost a year. 

jchuck Posted 18 Jun 2019 , 1:16pm
post #15 of 59

I still do believe that Jackie & Heath. They use to be on top of the site, always. I checked out CC’s FB page. I’m not on it, but no activity since March/2018. Like many sites, they are dependent on members and advertisers. Both, I believe have dropped significantly. There is another cake site that I was a Moderator on, that is as dead as a Dodo bird. Still running, which is hard to believe, as there’s so very little involvement. The primary person running the site is extremely busy, so the cake site was really an afterthought.  My  go too cake site is also languishing. Started out with a bang in 2011/2012, but over 80% that originally joined aren’t even involved anymore. Instagram and Facebook cake pages have replaced the online cake sites. As these  continue to grow, there is less interaction and involvement on CC and other cake sites. Who knows what other ventures and endeavours Jackie and Heath are involved with?? This may not be their primary concern anymore????

Rachel_n_VA Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Rachel_n_VA Posted 18 Jun 2019 , 1:22pm
post #16 of 59

Another group I was in opted to move to a closed facebook group instead of using the platform we'd been using.  Might be an idea...

ThatCakeDude42 Posted 18 Jun 2019 , 1:24pm
post #17 of 59

I have no desire to admin a facebook group, but if someone else wants to start one, I'll join.

jchuck Posted 18 Jun 2019 , 2:07pm
post #18 of 59

ThatCakeDude42

Your a day late and a dollar short. I’m in 6 closed FB cake pages. But only heavily involved in three. I recently dropped out of three, too many notifications, and not enough time. You could literally spend your whole day on FB cake pages. Looking and commenting. There are several cake artists..Liz Marek/Sugar Geeks, Shawna McGreevy/Cakeheads , and others who have pay monthly FB pages. There are literally 100’s of FB cake pages. Many public, meaning you google, find a page and ask to join. Many are by invitation only, of which I belong to two. 

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 18 Jun 2019 , 3:20pm
post #19 of 59

This is so frustrating. This could be such a  useful forum. The users have a wealth of knowledge and are always helpful and generous with their advice. They are badly let down by an almost unusable  website.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 18 Jun 2019 , 3:28pm
post #20 of 59

if Jackie was not involved in the site — it would probably be overwhelmingly over run with spam in nothing flat — 

but cc goes through good times and other times— so I mean it’s free too — you’ll notice the spam-a-wham has been back several times lately — she’s on it — sure I wish it was possible for it to be perfect but just like me it’s not — and no she doesn’t interact much on here but she’s behind the curtain

jchuck Posted 18 Jun 2019 , 7:29pm
post #21 of 59

Jackie I am sure does her very best to maintain CC. As a former Moderator ( well technically, actually I still am, haven’t been removed from the site ) I know how much work it is. And my job wasn’t that too too difficult. Well accept constantly removing spam, sooo annoying. And that sometimes was a daily occurrence. And weeding out members joining to advertise or post spam. Much harder I think to be an Admin on a FB cake page. Constantly dealing with difficult members. You know the type, members that are hypercritical of other cakes posted, or weigh in on a post and are rude and abrupt.

louglou Your right when you said it could be a useful forum. It once was, or at least for many. I think I’ve been a member on CC since 2007. Joined just before my daughter’s wedding. I wasn’t on much as I was working full time.  I discovered the other aforementioned cate site that I joined in 2010, where I became a Moderator. I met a whole lot of cake decorators whom I’ve become very good friends with. Four of which we email each other all the time. Not just about cakey stuff, but anything and everything. Sadly, like CC, that cake site is almost dead too. Facebook cake group pages have really basically taken over. Don’t know why, accept that I guess it’s easy because all your cake groups are in one place. Natural progression??   louglou,  I think many find much more interaction and advice on the FB groups. I have found a lot of very friendly, helpful advice on my FB group pages. 

ThatCakeDude42 Posted 18 Jun 2019 , 7:48pm
post #22 of 59

Despite its current state, Cake Central is an incredibly useful forum. The contributions of the members throughout the years have made it a giant archive of knowledge. I've read a lot of the old discussions. I'm kind of sad I wasn't a part of it back when it was active.

Facebook has driven traffic away from a lot of forums. I'm a moderator on what was once one of the world's largest forums, with 800k members, and thousands of posts a day. Now, there's 10-20 posts a day.

jchuck Posted 18 Jun 2019 , 8:13pm
post #23 of 59

Yes ThatCakeDude42 CC still is a wealth of knowledge. You can search for a lot of information here. And it was quite the bustling site. 

And I agree about Facebook too. After all the hacking, and fake news stuff, a ton of people left. My son and son-in-law, are no longer on Facebook. 

As a matter of fact, there was a very sad post on one of my fb group pages yesterday. A very well established cake decorator, Ceri, with over 80,000 followers had her fb cake page STOLEN!!! Not just hacked, literally stolen. Years of building her page, full of advice, cakes and tutorials. Kind of a bit of a story how it came about. Suffice to say, this Ceri, was royally duped.  Ceri  can see her cake page, but has been removed as owner/admin, so she can’t even get on her own page. And within the hour, new video content was added to the page. Definitely not uploaded by Ceri.  Can you imagine??? This decorator posted, #1 To warn others. #2 To see if anyone could help her out figuring  how to get her fb page back. She did contact fb Admin,  so not sure what has transpired with that. This perpetrator could be anywhere in the world. Obviously, whoever did this was extremely computer  sophisticated. This decorator’s fb page also directed people to her YouTube page, which in turn, created income for her. I do believe the link to her YouTube page has been removed. Just awful, awful, awful. 

webberblessings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
webberblessings Posted 19 Jun 2019 , 12:20am
post #24 of 59

CC is the only cake forum I have come across with so much advice and all the help and tips I have learned from this site and for free. Everyone is generous on here.

SandraDee73 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraDee73 Posted 19 Jun 2019 , 1:02am
post #25 of 59

Quote by @webberblessings on 38 minutes ago

CC is the only cake forum I have come across with so much advice and all the help and tips I have learned from this site and for free. Everyone is generous on here.

I second that!

MBalaska Posted 19 Jun 2019 , 1:50am
post #26 of 59

Quote by @jchuck on 13 hours ago

This is bad, very bad, for a site dedicated to showcasing photos. 

Yes, exactly @jchuck.  some things, tips, techniques, tools etc. can only be explained with a photo.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 19 Jun 2019 , 1:54am
post #27 of 59

I belong to several cake groups, but the Forum feature of CC is the best that I've come across.  That is due, of course, to the brilliant members who have a life time of knowledge and are so graciously willing to share it with the rest of us.

jchuck Posted 19 Jun 2019 , 2:12am
post #28 of 59

I heartily agree Sandra. I got advice, tips etc from CC looooong before there were any fb cake pages. Wasn’t a lot around in 2007. But sure got great advice/help on CWB too.

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 19 Jun 2019 , 12:50pm
post #29 of 59

I can relate to that lady's experience. I worked as a moderator on a site and was encouraged to share my recipes, techniques, photos and posts  - some of which  I had previously shared here, on Wilton forums and other forums. The owner was being rather aggressive and rude to some members I knew well from other sites including this one. In private, I told her it wasn't acceptable to treat people that way and that I could no longer work for her. She then told me she was turning her site into a paid site, banned me from her site, contacted Wilton and told them that she had rights to my work since I worked for her and threatened me with legal action. Of course she did not have a legal leg to stand on because she had nothing in writing and I had never agreed to her having rights to my works. Besides, they were already on other sites before I worked for her. However, on her site I did lose a lot of my photos and recipes and things I created that I had not backed up as I was so busy on her site. Mostly, it was a disappointment. Sometimes it is hard to wrap your head around why a person behaves the way they do.  For me, it was the hurt and the disillusion. 

There is, was and always has been a lot of nonsense going on, on these sites. I have never understood it. If you post too often - people get upset - it took me a long time to understand that. The other thing I took a long time to get was the whole "freedom of speech" thing. To me, manners play into freedom of speech. You think of the other person's feelings before you write something. I also got critiqued for making my posts too long - can you imagine?...lol - bet that is surkrising, not...

I go back to 2001 on the Wilton forums or before when I realized that a lot of people had questions about cake baking and I knew a bit about the subject. Then, there was a small group of us that made do with whatever was available regarding equipment and technique - to decorate cakes. Most of us were just home bakers/decoraters and didn't misrepresent ourselves as pros.  There was also a couple of pros eventually who would share tutorials when they had a moment and a few who shared recipes and posts as time went by.

I was one of the first members here on CC. In those days, Jackie and Heath didn't have the spam issues they now have to deal with and they had no competition. The site was so busy.

You have great moderators here now with loads of experience and wonderful advice too! Kudos! 

Things go in cycles. If Jackie and Heath plan to continue the site, I am certain they will iron out the bugs and there will be better days ahead!

Quote by @jchuck on 15 hours ago

Yes ThatCakeDude42 CC still is a wealth of knowledge. You can search for a lot of information here. And it was quite the bustling site. 

And I agree about Facebook too. After all the hacking, and fake news stuff, a ton of people left. My son and son-in-law, are no longer on Facebook. 

As a matter of fact, there was a very sad post on one of my fb group pages yesterday. A very well established cake decorator, Ceri, with over 80,000 followers had her fb cake page STOLEN!!! Not just hacked, literally stolen. Years of building her page, full of advice, cakes and tutorials. Kind of a bit of a story how it came about. Suffice to say, this Ceri, was royally duped.  Ceri  can see her cake page, but has been removed as owner/admin, so she can’t even get on her own page. And within the hour, new video content was added to the page. Definitely not uploaded by Ceri.  Can you imagine??? This decorator posted, #1 To warn others. #2 To see if anyone could help her out figuring  how to get her fb page back. She did contact fb Admin,  so not sure what has transpired with that. This perpetrator could be anywhere in the world. Obviously, whoever did this was extremely computer  sophisticated. This decorator’s fb page also directed people to her YouTube page, which in turn, created income for her. I do believe the link to her YouTube page has been removed. Just awful, awful, awful. 

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 19 Jun 2019 , 1:59pm
post #30 of 59

I love this discussion — just FYI — to my knowledge there are no moderators here at this time — but the way squirrellycakes carefully worded the previous years’ issues regarding “nonsense going on” “manners” and “feelings” are spot on and quite germane to this discussion — without actually stating/detailing them — 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%