Can You Airbrush Or Dust A Cake Silver Before Piping Royal Icing On Top

Decorating By Cakesbylacy Updated 26 Jun 2019 , 12:29am by SandraSmiley

Cakesbylacy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakesbylacy Posted 8 Jun 2019 , 9:13pm
post #1 of 10

Hello everyone! I have and order for a cake with very detailed Royal icing piping. They want the base cake to be silver. If I airbrush the cake silver, let it dry then pipe royal icing will I run into issues with the royal icing sliding off? Or if I use a vodka/dust mix?Can You Airbrush Or Dust A Cake Silver Before Piping Royal Icing On Top

9 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jun 2019 , 9:53pm
post #2 of 10

that is a great question -- I hope someone smart pipes up for you 'cause I don't know -- it depends on the product you use -- someone fresher with those products will have a great answer for you 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Jun 2019 , 11:27pm
post #3 of 10

Though I have NO actual experience with this I think it would work just fine   If no one comes up w/actual knowledge your best option is to test it out   Just slap some icing on & spray the silver & after it dries pipe away   About the only thing you will have to be careful with is to not touch the silver especially w/your hand/fingers    Let us know how it works out:) 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Jun 2019 , 11:29pm
post #4 of 10

Oh I don’t think dust is going to be an option   I think it will have to be airbrushed 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 9 Jun 2019 , 12:04am
post #5 of 10

I have not piped royal icing over airbrushing (Heaven forbid I should try to pipe RI!), but I've glued fondant decorations to it and it was no different than the part of the buttercream left unsprayed.  If it is fondant, I would think it would be even more stable.

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 9 Jun 2019 , 2:28am
post #6 of 10

I have done it using the Wilton Color Mist spray and that worked fine. I waited for the spray to dry, then proceeded with the royal piping. You just have to make sure that your royal is the correct consistency for what you're doing; too thin and it will definitely slide. 

Jenn123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jenn123 Posted 24 Jun 2019 , 5:35pm
post #7 of 10

I can't see your photo but I have airbrushed buttercream silver and then piped more buttercream over it. I don't think it would be a problem with royal icing. I'll attach a photo... don't know if you will be able to view it.Can You Airbrush Or Dust A Cake Silver Before Piping Royal Icing On Top

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 10:51am
post #8 of 10

gorgeous!

SquirrellyCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SquirrellyCakes Posted 25 Jun 2019 , 11:16am
post #9 of 10

Jenn123 - that cake is perfect - your piping is perfect and the cake is lovely.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 26 Jun 2019 , 12:29am
post #10 of 10

Ditto what SquirrellyCakes said, Jenn123!  Beautiful work!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%