Faux Bbq Sauce For Ribs Cake

Decorating By bvwilliams Updated 3 Jul 2019 , 1:47am by bvwilliams

bvwilliams Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bvwilliams Posted 8 Jun 2019 , 1:01am
post #1 of 18

Hello.  I need suggestions on how to make fake BBQ sauce to go on a cake that will be shaped like BBQ ribs.  The cake will be red velvet covered in fondant.  I would rather not make the kind of sauce that uses apricot jam.  I'm just not sure the flavors of red velvet, cream cheese buttercream and apricot will go together.  And I'm also concerned that the apricot jam will soak into the cake.  Does anyone have any other alternatives? Thanks.

17 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 8 Jun 2019 , 2:11am
post #2 of 18

You can use piping gel and tint it to suit your color.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 8 Jun 2019 , 4:45am
post #3 of 18

Sandra beat me to the answer:)    If you want it to be less shiny/gel like mix in a little b’cream   

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 8 Jun 2019 , 5:41pm
post #4 of 18

use a strawberry filling with a few blueberries and/or blackberries tossed in to tone down the color — but apricot would go great with red velvet 

-K8memphis Posted 8 Jun 2019 , 5:50pm
post #5 of 18

apricot and or strawberry wouldn’t soak into the fondant but it would soggify it — as would the piping gel — but put it on last minute and set some out in a little pot with a barbecue brush blush if you do a fruit barbecue sauce

-K8memphis Posted 8 Jun 2019 , 8:32pm
post #6 of 18

real cream cheese icing has to be kept refrigerated and is not the best for sculptures -- maybe you are using cream cheese flavoring which would work -- and there's this recipe also

https://www.cakecentral.com/recipe/61811/white-balsamic-american-buttercream

Fabricake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Fabricake Posted 10 Jun 2019 , 8:20am
post #7 of 18

I use part coloured royal icing and part piping gel. The piping gel keeps it shiny Faux Bbq Sauce For Ribs Cake

bvwilliams Posted 22 Jun 2019 , 1:17am
post #8 of 18

Thank you everyone for the suggestions.  Thank you K8memphis, I didn't think about the apricot jam making it soggy.  I was going to make it the day before but now I'll wait until that morning to put on the "BBQ sauce".  I just hope it turns out fine because I won't have time to redo it if it doesn't.  My frosting will be buttercream with cream cheese flavoring.  So I'll be able to leave the cake out for a day or two.

Fabricake, what is the ratio you use with the royal icing and piping gel?  Also, what colors do you mix together to get the BBQ sauce look?

bvwilliams Posted 30 Jun 2019 , 2:14am
post #9 of 18

Thanks for the suggestions. Here is the finished cake.  I ended up using apricot jam with red and brown gel color.Faux Bbq Sauce For Ribs Cake

SandraSmiley Posted 30 Jun 2019 , 2:22am
post #10 of 18

bvwilliams, that is insanely fabulous!  It makes my mouth water to look at it, and not for cake!  You knocked it out of the park on this one!

kakeladi Posted 30 Jun 2019 , 3:55am
post #11 of 18

OH!  Me want ribs  me want ribs me want ribs     Send that over right now :)   As K8 said wow what great job you did   

-K8memphis Posted 30 Jun 2019 , 3:31pm
post #12 of 18

sandra took the words out of my watering mouth! we have a central barbecue not a half mile from us -- their ribs for two is legendary! apricot jam for the win!! tremendous job! love it bvw!

and how did you do the excellent 'fries'?

bvwilliams Posted 2 Jul 2019 , 8:36pm
post #13 of 18

Thank you everyone!

bvwilliams Posted 2 Jul 2019 , 8:40pm
post #14 of 18

K8memphis, I cheated on the fries.  I didn't want to make a batch of sugar cookie dough because I only needed a few fries.  So I bought a Sara Lee pound cake and cut the fries with a crinkled blade.  Then I put them in the oven on a cookie sheet and toasted there for a few seconds on broil.  Everyone said that they tasted like cookies.

-K8memphis Posted 2 Jul 2019 , 8:50pm
post #15 of 18

that’s not cheating — that’s brilliant blush

kakeladi Posted 2 Jul 2019 , 9:43pm
post #16 of 18

Hope I remember that whenever I might need some cake fries!

SandraSmiley Posted 3 Jul 2019 , 12:20am
post #17 of 18

Ditto -K8memphis!  Brilliant!

bvwilliams Posted 3 Jul 2019 , 1:47am
post #18 of 18

Thanks, guys! 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%