Found Some Amazing Vintage Wedding Cake Items!

Lounge By taartenmaker Updated 8 Jun 2019 , 6:57pm by CakeMBsurprise

taartenmaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
taartenmaker Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 3:15pm
post #1 of 9

Found Some Amazing Vintage Wedding Cake Items!Found Some Amazing Vintage Wedding Cake Items!Hello y'all. Really wanted to show something here! I just love the old skool 80s and 90s wedding cakes. I'm 22 years old and love to make the old school wedding cakes while Dean Martin or frank sinatra is paying on the background lol. Just today I received a package I found on ebay which really made my day. 5 completely new unopened sets of the wilton cherub wedding cake pillars which have been discontinued for such a long time! They still have the original white color. The plastic items have the tendency to turn Yellow over time and then you have to spray paint them white. But these still have their original color. I some times still get to make the old school cakes because the gipysy people and some Turkish people here in the Netherlands still loe them also. I also have the fountains, stairs, pillars, bridesmaids, groomsman and more. I know it, I shouldn't collect to much... To late LOL. I'm also planning on making the wilton cathedral kit wedding cake, but I don't have the kit so I'm going to make it from edeble! Sometimes I make some old skool stuff from fondant which is even better than the plastics, because you don't have to ask it back and ask a deposit and stuff like that. I'm starting my one year pastry Sheff school adventure in September. I allready have a baker diploma but I'm going for pastry chef now. Wish me luck! Found Some Amazing Vintage Wedding Cake Items!Found Some Amazing Vintage Wedding Cake Items!

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 3:59pm
post #2 of 9

oh how cool! I had and used those cherub pillars — Love them!! and fountains, bridges, etc — yep that’s how I started in the early 70’s when dean & frank were still crooning — 

yeah that cathedral cake is ver ver cool!

it’s sweet that you see the beauty of that era — you rock! heart_eyes

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 4:10pm
post #3 of 9

and best to you with the pastry chef thing — hope you find a fantastic position if that’s the direction you’re going employment wise —

not to mention those are nice cake toppers too — you really scored!

oh yeah I had the cherub fountain pillars too — or were those just little add on cherubs — hmmm can’t remember — but I love that stuff too — a little piping down memory lane cake :)

you probably already know this but you can brush egg white beaten with a little water to break it down onto the yellow pillars and sprinkle them with sugar too for a sparkler effect — add some edible glitter too maybe

anyhow — favorite thread of the year here two_hearts

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 4:37pm
post #4 of 9

Beautiful finds, taartenmaker!  My favorite thing from the era is the incredible piping!

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 6:27pm
post #5 of 9

OH aren't you the lucky one! :)   Those are all items I used in most of my decorating life - 30some yrs ago :)  And to find them in pristeen condition - how wonderful!!   It is such a wonderful treat to see someone still wanting to do that beautiful work.  I know you will do just great in pastry school.

taartenmaker Posted 6 Jun 2019 , 12:45pm
post #6 of 9

Quote by @-K8memphis on 20 hours ago

and best to you with the pastry chef thing — hope you find a fantastic position if that’s the direction you’re going employment wise —

not to mention those are nice cake toppers too — you really scored!

oh yeah I had the cherub fountain pillars too — or were those just little add on cherubs — hmmm can’t remember — but I love that stuff too — a little piping down memory lane cake :)

you probably already know this but you can brush egg white beaten with a little water to break it down onto the yellow pillars and sprinkle them with sugar too for a sparkler effect — add some edible glitter too maybe

anyhow — favorite thread of the year here two_hearts

Thank you so much for you for your kind words wow. God bless you! Your reactions made my day! Never heard of the egg whites thing before actually.. How does it work sounds like a possibility..

taartenmaker Posted 6 Jun 2019 , 12:50pm
post #7 of 9

Quote by @kakeladi on 18 hours ago

OH aren't you the lucky one! :)   Those are all items I used in most of my decorating life - 30some yrs ago :)  And to find them in pristeen condition - how wonderful!!   It is such a wonderful treat to see someone still wanting to do that beautiful work.  I know you will do just great in pastry school.

Thank you for your kind words! Actually love your photo gallery here on cake central! Looked at it several times 

-K8memphis Posted 7 Jun 2019 , 12:05am
post #8 of 9

yeah just like I said -- you just add a little water like a couple teaspoons to an egg white -- beat it a little till it's less viscous, less gloppy, broken down -- more like paint -- paint it on the columns or cake plate or whatever and I would get a bowl of white sugar and hold the item over the bowl and sprinkle the sugar over the wet egg washed item -- let it dry and it was beautiful!

CakeMBsurprise Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeMBsurprise Posted 8 Jun 2019 , 6:57pm
post #9 of 9

These are fantastic. Im a big fan of Dean Martin and Frank Sinatra too! Always have been from a young age.

I love the first set of toppers and the cherubs! Amazing finds. 

Good luck with your course, and hope to see photos of your incredible designs soon.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%