Buttercream Outside With Cream Cheese Filling Inside. How Long Can Cake Stay At Room Temperature?

Baking By Jolie57 Updated 5 Jun 2019 , 10:37am by -K8memphis

Jolie57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jolie57 Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 9:15am
post #1 of 9

I have a groom's cake that was iced with cream cheese flavored buttercream, but filled with real cream cheese filling.  How long can it safely stay out at room temperature?  The recipe I used is this:

8 oz cream cheese

1/2 cup butter

4 cups powdered sugar

1/4 cup cornstarch

1 tbsp meringue powder

1 tbsp vanilla

8 replies
-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 9:53am
post #2 of 9

cream cheese icing can safely stay out of temperature for an accumulated total of four hours before safety is compromised for the very young, seniors and those with an illness —

all the time it is out of temperature needs to stay under four hours including the time it takes to buy it and get it home , the time it’s left out to soften and make into icing and how long to decorate the cake, deliver display and serve 

Thank You for being careful! You Rock!

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 10:01am
post #3 of 9

well, safety is compromised for everyone but it takes the noticeably biggest toll on those I listed —

also, check out this recipe on this board — i’m on my phone so I can’t get the link but here’s a picture...I hope Buttercream Outside With Cream Cheese Filling Inside. How Long Can Cake Stay At Room Temperature?

Buttercream Outside With Cream Cheese Filling Inside. How Long Can Cake Stay At Room Temperature?

Jolie57 Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 10:03am
post #4 of 9

The wedding is at 7 PM with reception to follow immediately after.  What time should the cake be delivered and set up?  I'm kind of freaking out right now!  They wanted me to deliver it in the morning.  Should I wait and deliver around 4 PM?

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 10:17am
post #5 of 9

when I do cream cheese icing I explain the safety issue to the bride at the consult — I never trouble her the week or two before the wedding — anyhow — I explain to everyone esp bride and point person at venue who I have to call — that the cake will be delivered late on purpose — and that it needs to be served within the hour — so they are all primed for this and can make their plans accordingly — 

so let them know that the cake will be delivered late on purpose during the ceremony and to move up the cake cutting if possible  — I hope they aren’t having a sit down meal —

the biggest thing is don’t let on you’re freaking out and don’t panic them — take everything in stride even though you just learned this and roll with it — you’ll know for next time — you got this —

some people might get a little tummy trouble but just do your best

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 10:20am
post #6 of 9

here’s the better picture of the faux cream cheese icing for next time — I gather this wedding is this weekend?

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 10:24am
post #7 of 9

if you deliver at 4:00 it won’t get served till 8:00 that’s four hours right there that’s not allowing any other time for it to be out of temperature — 

Jolie57 Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 10:28am
post #8 of 9

I will get with them and let them know the concerns and that I will be delivering the cake later.

Thanks K8 Memphis!

-K8memphis Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 10:37am
post #9 of 9

best to you, Jolie!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%