Graduation Cap Tassels

Decorating By ajclucas Updated 5 Jun 2019 , 4:45pm by SandraSmiley

ajclucas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ajclucas Posted 4 Jun 2019 , 6:39pm
post #1 of 8

I made graduation caps w/tassels for cupcakes this past weekend.  It was near 90 degrees and very humid.  By the time the cupcakes were delivered, the tassels were dripping off the caps.  I had the cupcakes in cupcake containers in a dark and cool room.  I think the dampness and oil from the cupcakes hurt the work that I had done.  I have to make more this coming weekend.  What can I use other than fondant, since it's going to be even more humid and hot this coming weekend?

7 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Jun 2019 , 7:06pm
post #2 of 8

You can try royal icing   How did you make those tassels?  Individual strings or one hunk cut into strings?  One hunk might work better  however I’d use royal 

ajclucas Posted 4 Jun 2019 , 7:22pm
post #3 of 8

Thanks, kakeladi.  I made the tassels with one hunk cut into strings.  I'll try royal icing prior to this weekend!

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 4 Jun 2019 , 7:29pm
post #4 of 8

Humidity is definitely a problem. Make sure to not close the container which traps it until you absolutely have to for pick up or delivery.

ajclucas Posted 4 Jun 2019 , 7:34pm
post #5 of 8

inthekitchen 2 - Great!  Thanks.  I closed the lids because I was scared the cupcakes would dry out.

inthekitchen2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inthekitchen2 Posted 4 Jun 2019 , 7:40pm
post #6 of 8

Yeah, adding anything fondant to cupcakes and closing up will definitely create this. Most of us had to learn this the hard way. The frosting will keep them from drying out, never had that problem. I usually have them decorated the night before. A lot of people wait to add the toppers until right before it goes, but I add them to get pictures and while the frosting is still wet for them to adhere to. As long as the container is left open the fondant has been fine. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 4 Jun 2019 , 8:14pm
post #7 of 8

Also try adding cornstrach to the fondant.  Did you leave an uncut section that was attached to the icing?  I've seldom had to deal with humidity so proibably take inthekitchen's advice :)

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 5 Jun 2019 , 4:45pm
post #8 of 8

I would use modeling chocolate, but that's because I always have it on hand....and it is delicious.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%