Cake Box Mix Less Now In Amount

Baking By CakeRN Updated 1 Jun 2019 , 5:47pm by CannonsCakes

CakeRN Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakeRN Posted 29 May 2019 , 7:39pm
post #1 of 7

So now the cake mixes are only 15.25 ounce so what do you add to get them back to the 18.25 amount.  I saw where you could add 5- 6 tablespoons of flour and the same with sugar. Does anyone do that?  Seems like the cakes are falling more since the changes in amounts. 

6 replies
MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 29 May 2019 , 10:05pm
post #2 of 7

I add 5 T of flour - it works for me! For chocolate 3 cocoa, 2 flour. 

Some people don’t add any to the original WASC A and they say it still comes out great.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 30 May 2019 , 1:03am
post #3 of 7

Yes I’m one who says no need to add anything more —-the WASC recipe works just fine using the “smaller”  size   Others advise buying 1 additional box white mix, dividing it into 3oz pkgs to add to any flavor mix   That small amount will not adversely effect any flavor   They feel it produces a taller cake—guess for the few cakes I now make actual height is’nt that important 

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 1 Jun 2019 , 12:21am
post #4 of 7

I haven't had a WASC cake turn out at all with the new crummy mixes. Years ago they were always perfect. I would have been glad to pay more for the mixes if they had kept the same size and formulas. So frustrated

MamaGeese Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MamaGeese Posted 1 Jun 2019 , 12:21am
post #5 of 7

I haven't had a WASC cake turn out at all with the new crummy mixes. Years ago they were always perfect. I would have been glad to pay more for the mixes if they had kept the same size and formulas. So frustrated

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 1 Jun 2019 , 4:26pm
post #6 of 7

For every cake mix used in a WASC recipe (I usually do a double), I add 1/2 cup of cake mix from a second box.  This brings it back to the original size.  As kakeladi said, I've also made them without the additional mix and they were fine.

CannonsCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CannonsCakes Posted 1 Jun 2019 , 5:47pm
post #7 of 7

They have been that size for some time.  It really through us off when they changed because we had used the same recipe for 25 years.  We go through 100 cases or so a week using a great formula we have come up with but after that change in size they have been nothing but a problem.  We have noticed adding 2/3 cup  of pudding helps stabilize them and keep it from collapsing, or even overflowing all in your oven.  

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%