When To Thaw & Decorate?

Decorating By Jolie57 Updated 25 May 2019 , 5:46pm by -K8memphis

Jolie57 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jolie57 Posted 24 May 2019 , 1:18pm
post #1 of 7

I am working on a groom's cake.  He requested a 3 tiered cake!  I have health issues so I routinely bake, torte, and frost my cakes ahead of time and freeze to allow for any down days.  I have the 3 tiers done and in the freezer.  How should these be wrapped?  When should I remove these from the freezer to thaw?  Should they go in fridge to thaw or thaw at room temp?  These are red velvet cakes with cream cheese filling.  They are covered in buttercream and will be decorated with fondant cut outs.  How far in advance can I decorate and leave out?  Or should I decorate and put in fridge?  Concerned about fondant running on my white icing and also, sinking into buttercream.  I am in south Louisiana and summer has kicked in here.

6 replies
SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 24 May 2019 , 4:27pm
post #2 of 7

I take my cakes out of the freezer the day before I plan to decorate, leave them wrapped or boxed, and thaw them in the refrigerator.  Since you used cream cheese filling, your cakes will need to be refrigerated.  I have never had any problem with fondant bleeding or sinking into my buttercream, but I deliver in a cool box, summer and winter.  I leave one end free, instead of the top, so the cake slides in and out of the box.  Works like a charm.

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 24 May 2019 , 4:43pm
post #3 of 7

everybody does it different -- "one baker's never ever do is the next baker's I swear by this" --

so I fill my tiers and freeze on baking day because I can get rid of all the mess on day one -- I don't crumb coat -- why ice them twice, right? I wrap them (like mummies :) in two layers of plastic wrap, slide them into Reynold's baking bags which are of course food safe and freeze -- if they are really large I tape two bags together (like the giant ones for 20 pound turkeys) and the bags are re-useable --so usually two days ahead of the event i take them out, remove all the wrappings immediately brush off all the ice particles so none can melt and possibly impart a funky flavor into my stuff -- and ice them frozen -- then they go in & out the fridge while I decorate till I deliver them cold in a box like sandra's --

you are more hot & humid than me here in memphis  but it's brutal here too -- so you can really rest easy using a box like that out of corrugated cardboard -- I get moving boxes from u-haul or a storage place -- because you cannot depend on the air conditioning in the car to hold your cake -- what if you get a flat or something and you have to keep opening the doors and your car over heats... or you get in a traffic jam -- holds cakes ver ver well --

Jolie57 Posted 24 May 2019 , 5:52pm
post #4 of 7

Thanks SandraSmiley & K8memphis.  Since my cakes are already iced, I will incorporate both of your ideas that I can at this point  Thanks for the advice!  Happy Memorial Day!

Jolie57 Posted 24 May 2019 , 5:52pm
post #5 of 7

Thanks SandraSmiley & K8memphis.  Since my cakes are already iced, I will incorporate both of your ideas that I can at this point  Thanks for the advice!  Happy Memorial Day!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 25 May 2019 , 4:32am
post #6 of 7

Same to you, Jolie57!

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 25 May 2019 , 5:46pm
post #7 of 7

thank you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%