Wedding This Weekend - Will My Buttercream Melt?

Decorating By acakedecorator Updated 21 May 2019 , 7:52pm by kakeladi

acakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acakedecorator Posted 21 May 2019 , 5:08pm
post #1 of 5

Hey everyone, 

I'm getting married this Saturday!! I can't believe it's already here. I am making our own wedding cake. It will be 3 tiers, buttercream frosted. Rosettes on the bottom tier and the top two just rustic frosted. I have already baked all the cakes and made all the buttercream and they are waiting in the freezer to be decorated. 

The temperature for the wedding day is supposed to be right around 90. The cake will be under a tent and the location is pretty shaded, do you think the buttercream will have a problem in the heat? It is 1/2 and 1/2 butter and crisco. I made one for my sister a few years ago and it sat out like this one will, but it was maybe 5-10 degrees cooler, so I'm just not sure.

Thanks for your input!

4 replies
cadaless31 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cadaless31 Posted 21 May 2019 , 5:48pm
post #2 of 5

Maybe try just a crisco based buttercream? I also saw a recipe here for a 'high humidity' buttercream that omits the butter and uses dream whip. I have tried it and it is very tasty. 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 May 2019 , 6:27pm
post #3 of 5

The desiring factor will be the humidity   If that is low you will be fine   I have done 100s of buttercream cakes at temps of 90-100 w/o them melting   Chill it until the very last minute before displaying it should be ok for about 3 hrs   

acakedecorator Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
acakedecorator Posted 21 May 2019 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 5

The humidity is saying about 57%, so not super high. 

Just curious why you suggest 3 hours? 

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 21 May 2019 , 7:52pm
post #5 of 5

3 hrs give you some hedge time....most foods do o.k. out of refrigeration just 4 hrs and that includes the time worked on them.  If there is no filling that needs to be refrigerated you could have a bit more time.   I have set cakes up as far in advance as 8 hrs but only one that I can recall that sat out in the direct sun for that amount - unknown to me until a guest told me days later.  He said it did not melt - but was dry. 

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%