Help. Sos. Missing Glucose

Baking By shdvl Updated 21 May 2019 , 12:30pm by kakeladi

shdvl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shdvl Posted 20 May 2019 , 6:17pm
post #1 of 6

I am missing glucose (thought I had it on hand) to make homemade gum paste. I need to make the topper for my son's graduation cake before the next paycheck comes in. Is there a recipe that I can use regular corn syrup in instead of glucose? Right now its not an option to buy anything more except maybe marshmallows to make MMF. I have Wilton  gum-tex and meringue powder on hand. Plus kitchen staples. Any recipes that work good I am making a grad cap and a Spartan image to lay on his cake. Thanks for any help. Back to baking cakes while I wait for help.

5 replies
kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 20 May 2019 , 7:08pm
post #2 of 6

The gum-tex will work just fine.  Knead it into the fondant or mix it up according to the instructions on the pkg.  It won't get as hard as real gumpaste but hard enough to use.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 May 2019 , 7:42pm
post #3 of 6

You can use corn syrup in place of the glucose.  Maybe hold be the amount slightly to compensate for the thickness difference.

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 20 May 2019 , 7:45pm
post #4 of 6

Here is the gum paste recipe I swear by, Nicholas Lodge's recipe.  It is the strongest I've ever used.  The only thing I do differently is add one extra egg white, depending upon the thickness of the mixture.  

https://sugargeekshow.com/recipe/nicholas-lodge-gumpaste-recipe/

kakeladi Posted 21 May 2019 , 3:24am
post #5 of 6

I really like  C’a gp   It is easy to make & very  strong as Sandra said 

kakeladi Posted 21 May 2019 , 12:30pm
post #6 of 6

Ooopps that should be NL’ s gp recipe up there ^^^  — not C’s   Sorry for the typo

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%