Swiss Meringue Buttercream - Is It Supposed To Firm?

Decorating By jlmanzano12 Updated 19 May 2019 , 10:35pm by MBalaska

jlmanzano12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jlmanzano12 Posted 19 May 2019 , 9:42pm
post #1 of 3

Hi everyone!

I made my first Swiss meringue buttercream, and made sure to follow all the steps to avoid a disaster (cleaning g all utensils and bowls with vinegar to ensure no geese !). Everything came out perfectly, smooth, silky, light, and would have been perfect to ice a cake at that moment !  I decided to store it in the fridge, it formed up as expected. I let it warm up and rewhipped, and it became smooth again. It did not curdle at all.  However, when I started icing my cake, I notice that it started to firm up a little, but still manageable to smooth on. The texture was similar to butter.

Has anyone had this experience?

Maybe it wasn’t at room temperature as I thought? 

I just finished frosting my cake and it’s in the freezer well covered, I hope when it comes to room temperature it becomes soft again.....

thank you !!!Swiss Meringue Buttercream - Is It Supposed To Firm?

2 replies
rychevamp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rychevamp Posted 19 May 2019 , 10:02pm
post #2 of 3

SMBC is all about temperature. It will soften at room temperature. I usually make sure the cake is out a couple hours before service. 

If you have a cold room, it will firm up and should be softened again while using it.

Adjusting the texture is by either microwaving, set over a water bath, or using a propane torch to melt it slightly, then mix again.  This can be done multiple times to get it the way you want.  I use a firmer texture to crumb coat with, then soften it to a mayonnaise consistency  to finish.  

Also, you can use a hot spatula or scraper to smooth the final cost if necessary. 

MBalaska Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MBalaska Posted 19 May 2019 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 3

skip to the end of this cute little video and they show how 7 different frostings hold up to heat.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%