Friday Night Cake Club For 05/17/19

Decorating By kstevens Updated 25 May 2019 , 1:56am by kstevens

kstevens Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kstevens Posted 18 May 2019 , 12:04am
post #1 of 18

Opening up another session of FNCC! Everyone is welcome to share what they have been up to this week, post photos of their work, ask for help or provide help if you are able to.

My apologies that I missed getting this going last week. I was busy with Mother's day baking, recovering from having a tooth pulled and not dealing well with antibiotics. All better now though.

I did quite a few cookie orders for Mother's day and then wanted to come up with a different design for my mom. What I did for her was based on a design by Montreal Confections. I didn't have the right cutter for the large petals nor the patience for all the piping. Lots of room to improve but my mom seemed to like it. I made a smaller group of cookies for my boyfriend's mom as she is watching her sugar intake. I also made an Irish Coffee cheesecake for Mother's day dinner dessert. It was a big hit!

Looking forward to seeing what you have all been up to!

Kelly

17 replies
kstevens Posted 18 May 2019 , 12:13am
post #2 of 18

kstevens Posted 18 May 2019 , 12:14am
post #3 of 18

Cookies for my mom:

kstevens Posted 18 May 2019 , 12:15am
post #4 of 18

kstevens Posted 18 May 2019 , 12:15am
post #5 of 18

kstevens Posted 18 May 2019 , 12:22am
post #6 of 18

Graduation cake that I forgot to share from a couple weeks ago:

Marian64 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marian64 Posted 18 May 2019 , 7:07pm
post #7 of 18

What beautiful cookies! 

I made lemon cupcakes with a yellow rose swirl on this for mother’s day. I made chocolate chip cookies today for my grandson who is coming over for me to watch while his parents have a date night. 

I have graduation cakes in a couple of weeks. 

Have a great weekend.

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 18 May 2019 , 7:32pm
post #8 of 18

Beautiful cookies kstevens. 

I made this Minnie Mouse cake for a friend’s daughter. I think it’s the first cake I made where nothing went wrong.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 18 May 2019 , 7:49pm
post #9 of 18

Those cookie are amazxingly beautiful :)

louglou Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
louglou Posted 18 May 2019 , 7:49pm
post #10 of 18

MerMadeBakedGoods Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 18 May 2019 , 10:56pm
post #11 of 18

Kelly- beautiful!! Are those cookies airbrushed or painted?!?!

louglou- you’re funny! I highly doubt that’s your FIRST cake nothing has gone wrong???! In either case, it’s lovely :).

this week I donated three king cakes to an education gala/fundraiser.

then a fire truck themed cake for a birthday boy.

finally a Star Wars cake for a 40 year old birthday boy :). There’s a giant sign that says “may the fortieth be with you” but there’s no WAY I’m putting it in before delivery tomorrow :)

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 18 May 2019 , 10:59pm
post #12 of 18

Friday Night Cake Club For 05/17/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/17/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/17/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/17/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/17/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/17/19

LelekBolek Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LelekBolek Posted 19 May 2019 , 12:01am
post #13 of 18

So pretty! Awesome stuff...

I had a repeat design for a baby shower cake and cupcakes,  and working on a Harry Potter cake. Made a Dobby the Elf fondant topper. About 5.5" or (13 cm) in total height.  

On a completely different note, i need to stop volunteering my a$$ for kid related projects.  I tend to pull things off, and give out impression of "it's a piece of cake ". Then get tagged for more. And more. And more... asked a friend to just slap me when she sees a phrase "i guess i can do it..." forming in my head LOL. 

Friday Night Cake Club For 05/17/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/17/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/17/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/17/19

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 19 May 2019 , 1:11am
post #14 of 18

After a few  weeks of doing mermaid/unicorn cakes I finally have something post worthy. The first one is a hollow Knight figurines. They are mostly modeling chocolate with some rice crispies in a few areas. I'm happy with the overall shape but I ended up having to put an extra rod in the front to hold it up. It looks a bit out of place but the customer didn't care. This is also the last time (I keep saying this) that I make modeling chocolate. This stuff worked OK but I had a hard time smoothing it out.  The other cake is a marscapone/whipped cream cake that I was DREADING. The top is vanilla on vanilla and the bottom is tiramisu cake. It turned out alright I guess- one of the sides 'settled'  a little on the 1.5 hour drive to the cities. My brother thought I had a florist do the arrangements, so I must be getting better at that.

Friday Night Cake Club For 05/17/19Friday Night Cake Club For 05/17/19

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 19 May 2019 , 1:59am
post #15 of 18

The canadian160 - that is AWESOME! I have a question....when you put a cardboard sign on top like that cool sparkly one, do you charge exactly what it cost you to buy it (unless you make that too???!!!?) or do you charge a couple of dollars for the time it took to find it/order it etc.?

thecanadian160 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
thecanadian160 Posted 19 May 2019 , 2:12am
post #16 of 18

I would normally charge a few dollars extra over the cost of the sign, probably no more then a dollar or two. I don't like to gouge customers on some of the ready made add-ons like this. It didn't take me more then a few minutes to find it on Etsy and punch in my info. If you up charge too much for this kind of thing the customer would probably just get it themselves and tack it on after you left- which may or may not look as good.

MerMadeBakedGoods Posted 19 May 2019 , 2:15am
post #17 of 18

Thanks for letting me know. That’s what I do as well, I just wanted to make sure. I usually just round up to the next dollar. Although this last cake the customer waited until the last minute and then wanted a sign...it was $30 to rush order!!! But no biggie - she paid it.

kstevens Posted 25 May 2019 , 1:56am
post #18 of 18

@MerMadeBakedGoods if it's the cookies in my first photo that you are asking about, they are airbrushed.  I've never had a king cake, not really a thing here in Canada. What do they taste like? Your fire truck cake is really cute.

@louglou great Mini Mouse cake!

@LelekBolek all your creations look great!

@thecanadian160 your cake is very pretty and while I'm not familiar with the characters you've sculpted, they look good to me!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%