Candy Melts

Baking By Briniga Updated 17 May 2019 , 4:10pm by -K8memphis

Briniga Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Briniga Posted 16 May 2019 , 5:06pm
post #1 of 15

Can you freeze unmelted candy melts? If so, how do I store them in the freezer & how long will they last in there? Thank you :)

14 replies
Briniga Posted 16 May 2019 , 5:34pm
post #2 of 15

they are wilton

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 16 May 2019 , 6:35pm
post #3 of 15

I've never frozen them for long periods. I just usually close the bag, throw it in a ziploc, and leave it in the cabinet. 

Briniga Posted 16 May 2019 , 6:37pm
post #4 of 15

I usually do that but i've been noticing that they are going bad fast & i try to buy the melts as late as possible for when i need them

-K8memphis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
-K8memphis Posted 16 May 2019 , 7:20pm
post #5 of 15

going bad in what way — i’ve stored chocolate for months and as long as a year — no worries 

Briniga Posted 16 May 2019 , 7:25pm
post #6 of 15

smelled & tasted bad,had to throw it away

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 May 2019 , 8:33pm
post #7 of 15

Really?  I've never had candy melts smell bad - & I've kept them up to 6 months just in the cupboard.  But I see no reason not to freeze them.  They might stick together when removed but you are going to melt them anyway so who cares? :) 

Briniga Posted 16 May 2019 , 8:37pm
post #8 of 15

Yeah its been happening more & more often, so ive been opening the bags as soon as i buy them to see if they are bad so i can just return it while i'm still at the store.

-K8memphis Posted 16 May 2019 , 9:25pm
post #9 of 15

the only thing about freezing them is it can create condensation when thawed so that's gonna cause problems when you melt them -- but I don't know what kind of candy melts you're getting but I've actually never heard of it going bad -- it can bloom and get dull looking -- it can lose flavor to some extent -- but I've never heard of it -- not that it can't happen I guess but idk I've stored it from thanksgiving to thanksgiving and then did dipped strawberries in back to back years -- no worries --

Briniga Posted 16 May 2019 , 9:48pm
post #10 of 15

I dont know why some of the ones have gone bad :( but they smelled & tasted so bad, i melted them to make sure & tasted it & they were awful. i wonder if i should test it out & freeze some & then try melting them & see 

ypierce82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ypierce82 Posted 16 May 2019 , 9:53pm
post #11 of 15

That would be the only way that you're going to know if freezing them will change them. I think that I have some from like 2 years ago still in the cabinet lol but I've never had that problem. Sucks that it is happening!

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 16 May 2019 , 11:52pm
post #12 of 15

Because I do a lot of sculpting with modeling chocolate, I buy Wilton Candy Melts like they are going out of style.  I usually have at least a dozen bags on hand at any time and I've never notice any change in them what so ever.  I just have them stored at room temp in their bags, or if the are opened, I seal the bags well and put a rubber band around them to hold them closed.  I never had a problem with the opened ones either.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 17 May 2019 , 2:56am
post #13 of 15

Like everyone else said never have had them go bad   I’d take them  back for a refund especially if it continues happening 

SandraSmiley Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SandraSmiley Posted 17 May 2019 , 3:18pm
post #14 of 15

I am completely mystified as to what is causing a bad smell and taste........unless for some reason, they are going rancid, like shortening left too long at warm temperatures....like a year.

-K8memphis Posted 17 May 2019 , 4:10pm
post #15 of 15

no, don't freeze them

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%